How do you handle a service call for ControlLogix w/ unknown Firmware Revision

Bit_Bucket_07

If you get a cold call to come out and work on a system with ControlLogix and PanelView HMI, how can you determine which major firmware revisions of software you will need to work on the system?

I'm talking about a system for which the client has misplaced the backups of the program files.

Will RSLinx detect the firmware version? If you attempt to connect and upload with a newer (or older) version of software than the firmware version of the hardware, what will happen?

Rslinx does tell you the firmware revision number in the properties tab. Also, if you try to connect and do not have that version of the software installed, it will give you an error, tell you what revision the firmware is on the controller, and ask if you want to convert it to a newer version and flash the firmware.

Rslinx does tell you the firmware revision number in the properties tab. Also, if you try to connect and do not have that version of the software installed, it will give you an error, tell you what revision the firmware is on the controller, and ask if you want to convert it to a newer version and flash the firmware.

Are you certain that is correct Helliana ?

Are you saying that you can use, say version 24, to upload a version 21, it converts to 24 during the upload, and that will then require you to flash the controller to 24 for any subsequent download.

I cannot test this, I have every version installed, and I'm not going to uninstall a mid-sequence version to test that theory.

My understanding is that to even get online to the controller (to perform the upload) you had to have the corresponding software revision.

If anyone is reading this thread, please DO NOT FLASH your controllers until you have a safe backup of the existing application. Flashing will wipe it from the controller memory..!!

That's the last thing you want to do on a service call.

rslinks does tell the firmware revision looks like there is a couple ways of seeing it, if over ethernet you can go to the device right click go to device properties and will show the revision

RSLogix software does not in and of itself allow you to go backwards. You can't convert the file to version 23 and then go back to version 20. You also can only have one version of the minor revision installed for every major revision. There are some issues with v20 in that regard (20.01 and 20.13 I believe are the exact numbers).

Also, you cannot perform an upload or download until your revision of the Logix/Studio matches the revision on the controller. You NEED to match the version on the controller to do service work.

Now as far as the OP's question. It is simple. You tell them up front you will be more than happy to check it out, and that if they can give you the version up front, no big deal you can make sure you have it before you get there.

I mean, really, if you are trying to do service work in this field, it shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle. You have a tech connect contract? If not you need to get one and have copies of all the versions ready.

Perhaps they have one. Perhaps you can get a copy from the local distributor. Generally, if possible I try to do an audit before hand and figure out this kind of stuff. If that isn't possible, it isn't a bad idea to tell them that you aren't familiar with the system and you will need someone who is to accompany you. Tell them you are happy to figure the system out yourself if no one is available, but it will add lots of time onto the job. Perhaps they have the proper copies of the software or what you need.

I will throw this in for good measure.

You can probably get the info from RSLinx, or you can try to connect to the IP via web browser to get the info. The fastest way is to just connect (RSLinx won't have issues configuring the driver for other versions). The best and most surefire way is to connect and try to go online with the controller.

If you run into any version before 13.04 you will have to use that version in a windows XP virtual machine, the software will start but will NOT open a project in anything newer than XP.

Last edited:
If they have Logix to take a backups or monitor software on site, can they tell you the version they have? There's a good chance it'll be the same.

RSLogix software does not in and of itself allow you to go backwards. You can't convert the file to version 23 and then go back to version 20. You also can only have one version of the minor revision installed for every major revision. There are some issues with v20 in that regard (20.01 and 20.13 I believe are the exact numbers).

Also, you cannot perform an upload or download until your revision of the Logix/Studio matches the revision on the controller. You NEED to match the version on the controller to do service work.

Now as far as the OP's question. It is simple. You tell them up front you will be more than happy to check it out, and that if they can give you the version up front, no big deal you can make sure you have it before you get there.

I mean, really, if you are trying to do service work in this field, it shouldn't be an insurmountable hurdle. You have a tech connect contract? If not you need to get one and have copies of all the versions ready.

Perhaps they have one. Perhaps you can get a copy from the local distributor. Generally, if possible I try to do an audit before hand and figure out this kind of stuff. If that isn't possible, it isn't a bad idea to tell them that you aren't familiar with the system and you will need someone who is to accompany you. Tell them you are happy to figure the system out yourself if no one is available, but it will add lots of time onto the job. Perhaps they have the proper copies of the software or what you need.

I will throw this in for good measure.

You can probably get the info from RSLinx, or you can try to connect to the IP via web browser to get the info. The fastest way is to just connect (RSLinx won't have issues configuring the driver for other versions). The best and most surefire way is to connect and try to go online with the controller.

If you run into any version before 13.04 you will have to use that version in a windows XP virtual machine, the software will start but will NOT open a project in anything newer than XP.

Why, I am pretty sure you can run v.10 and v.12 on Win7. For versions before this for sure you need XP. There was a catch, but I am not sure if for v.10 or v.8, that if you click on the .acd file, it's not opening, but if you browse to the .exe (RSL5K) and open the .acd from there, it works.

Why, I am pretty sure you can run v.10 and v.12 on Win7. For versions before this for sure you need XP. There was a catch, but I am not sure if for v.10 or v.8, that if you click on the .acd file, it's not opening, but if you browse to the .exe (RSL5K) and open the .acd from there, it works.

This is not correct. I can confirm for 11 and 12 that you can not run under windows 7. I tried the "workarounds" you mentioned when I ran into the issue. Versions 8 and 10 *could* work I suppose as I have not ever personally tried them. I ended up installing an XP VM, versions 8-12 in the VM then connecting to the existing processors, taking their programs and doing firmware upgrades on all 6 or 8 processors to solve the issue for the plant.

I should also specify that I tried this on windows 7 64 bit AND 32 bit.

@Sparkie

I'll check and confirm when after a week or 2, as I get to the place I have the laptop with v.10. It's running Win7 64bit

@Sparkie

I'll check and confirm when after a week or 2, as I get to the place I have the laptop with v.10. It's running Win7 64bit

Awesome! I would LOVE to know if there was a solid way to get around that limit. Seem to remember being able to create a project but not open an existing one and it seemed to have something to do with the difference in the API's of the OSes. I would also like to know how other versions behave as I only tried 11.

Awesome! I would LOVE to know if there was a solid way to get around that limit. Seem to remember being able to create a project but not open an existing one and it seemed to have something to do with the difference in the API's of the OSes. I would also like to know how other versions behave as I only tried 11.

Sparkie - I'm running WIn7 32 and connected to a v10 processor a few weeks ago.

I haven't tried w/ 11 or 12, but if I can dig up a spare 5555 i'll try it.

This is not correct. I can confirm for 11 and 12 that you can not run under windows 7. I tried the "workarounds" you mentioned when I ran into the issue. Versions 8 and 10 *could* work I suppose as I have not ever personally tried them. I ended up installing an XP VM, versions 8-12 in the VM then connecting to the existing processors, taking their programs and doing firmware upgrades on all 6 or 8 processors to solve the issue for the plant.

I should also specify that I tried this on windows 7 64 bit AND 32 bit.

That is not correct - all versions from 10 upwards will run on Windows 7.

I have versions 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, and 20 of RSLogix5000 running quite happily on W7, as per the picture.

I occasionally have to use all versions, so have tested them all, no problems.

Note that not all versions support all controller models.

Versions.jpg