How to restore factorytalk activation???

Miggel

I recently had a problem with my laptop(windows was not booting and a message missing .nls files) and required me to reformat the hardrive. But before reformatting I copied an image of the hardrive assuming the activation will be copied as well. After reformatting I restored all the image to the same location and there the problem started. Rslogix 5000 was looking for the activation. I went to fatorytalk tools to check the activation but it was missing. Under the rehost tab I could see the activation files.
Can anybody out there help me on this dilemma. What does rehosting means???

Make sure you have the server started. you'll see the buttons Start Stop at the bottom of activation page.

Factory talk activation can be concurrent (license server issues licenses) or node locked. Node locked activation can be tied to the PC NIC, hard drive serial number or a special USB dongle. I think (guessing) that it defaults to the hard drive serial number when you set it up originally.

If your activation was tied to the serial number of the hard drive and you replaced that hard drive, then the activation will need to be recreated to match the new hard drive (or Network Interface Card).

Rehosting (in my understanding) is the process of sending that license back to Rockwell Automation, and having them re-issue it to you for use on a different or rebuilt PC. I believe you are allowed to rehost your activation a few times a year by using their web based process. We have done it once a couple of years ago, and it was quite painless.

The license file is a simple text file. It is easy to make copies of this file and move it away from and back to the proper location, but it will only work correctly on the PC for which it was created.

If you are having trouble after looking into the details, give Rockwell a call, and I am sure they can help you sort it out.