How to transfer 8 char numeric string from CLogix 1769 to PV600 DF1

edwinmart

I am reading from a barcode reader using the PLC CH1 a 8 chars number string. But I need to display this on the PanelView 600.
I need to trigger an alarm on the PV on each barcode read displaying the value readed.

Please Help.

Edwin

Last edited:
Why don't you just display on the PV600 the memory location that the 8 characters (from the barcode) are held in?

Maybe a little more specifics would help...

I am storing the data on a TAG in the PLC but as you know I need to map the string I have done this before but mapping imputs and outputs modules, but dont know...

1) to map the string in the PV
2) manipulate the text field to point to this memory area
3) generate an alarm on this value change

I have the manual hardcopy and that pdf file all I have done in this project is by the use of the manual but I am stuck at this point and I already tried to figure out reading it, but no luck.

Is a lot easier to try to solve the problem by our self, than to come as first approach to a forum post a question and wait for someone to answer.

The first thing you need to do is setup the communications between the PLC and the PV600. What protocol are you using? (DF1, DH-485, Dnet, Cnet)

Im using DF1, the project is an 96 inputs alarm system, with a ID cards reader (barcode) connected to a port of the 1769-L31 PLC.

What I alreadt did:
1) I create 3 tags pointing to the inputs modules 3 (IQ32) 3x32 = 96.

2) In the PLC ladder logic I add a copy intruction to copy the values of the modules (just for not mapping directly to the Inputs)

3) In the PLC I mapped some control tags and the 96 Inputs tags (which generates alarms) using the logic->Map PLC/SLC: N10, N11, N12 and N14 were used.

The PLC reads the barcode and store the string in a string tag (inside the PLC: barcode_read). All this is working I get the alarm on the PV displaying it.

But I need to display in the PV when a barcode read occurs and display that read (value) like an "alarm" event.

So you are actually alot farther than I thought (based on your previous posts). Good..!!!

But I need to display in the PV when a barcode read occurs and display that read (value) like an "alarm" event.
The first thing to do is create an alarm trigger in the PLC that is triggered on a new barcode read. When the new barcode comes into the PLC, you will set this bit (alarm trigger). On the PV side, you will set this trigger up in the alarm setup and the actual barcode data will be embedded in the alarm message.

I hope this helps.

The alarm message for the trigger that you created will look something like this.

/*A:12 barcode_read*/

The A represents that it is ASCII (string) and the 12 will make 12 characters display. You can change these settings when you setup the alarm message using the Insert->Embedded Variable menu.