How you deal with many View Studio Version?

Martindag

I got 3 panelview on View studio 5.1 and also 4-5 of them on version 6.1

How are you dealing with all these different View Studio version ? do you install like a version of each to be able to work on everything ? and switch your activation key everytime you need the other version ??.

Right now i got version 5.1

the one on version 6.1 have been programmed from someone outside the company.

Thanks !

It's a headache, but a tolerable headache.

I just have FactoryTalk View Studio v7 installed on my Windows 7 computer, and I can create Runtime files for almost any terminal from v3.0 to v7.

The exception is that I have a set of machines with v5.10 terminals that also use ActiveX controls. FTView v6 or later won't work with the ActiveX for the older terminals, so I maintain a VMWare virtual machine just for those specific ones.

As long as you aren't running as far back as v4, you should be able to use the same FactoryTalk activation.

One of my Panelview plus 1000 i hear can't have any runtime higher than 5.1 so im guessing i have to keep my View Studio 5.1 on VMware for those and install 6.1+ on my laptop for the rest.
Good to know i can activate more than 1 view studio on the same laptop with the same key!

Thanks alot !

I use virtual machines. Have 8 for Rockwell and another 5 for Wonderware versions. And several others for different stuff. I don't think an SI can have one computer anymore.

damn ! and what about windows 10 ? im about to get a new laptop and my IT guy wanted to know if i wanted win7 or win10, i guessed win 7... i use win10 at home but i feel like im going to have **** lots of problem with automation software or something!

Windows 10 is going to be a big problem. Updating without being able to even test if its going to break something is a big issue for control software. I have made a W10 Vm and successfully run RSLinx 3.8, RSLogix5000 20.01, RSLogix500 10.0 and FTView Studio 8.1. But after future updates, who knows.

One of my Panelview plus 1000 i hear can't have any runtime higher than 5.1 so im guessing i have to keep my View Studio 5.1 on VMware for those and install 6.1+ on my laptop for the rest.
Good to know i can activate more than 1 view studio on the same laptop with the same key!

Thanks alot !

FactoryTalk View Studio 8.1 can make runtime files for older Panelview+ w/ V5.10.

There are issues with migrating panelviews older than version 6.1 with 64 bit operating systems. I have Factorytalk View 8.1 installed on a 32bit machine and am able to do any panelview plus we have in our plant.

ok well mine is 64 bit on windows 7 and it was the main reason why i installed VMware, one of my program could run only in 32 bit

all these program was made on windows xp 32 bit back in the day if im right so i guess im better staying like this.

Thanks alot !

Just like Ken mentioned, I have V8 installed on my machine (in a 32bit VM). If I come across a PanelView that has V5.1 firmware in it, when I create the runtime, I select V5.1 as the target version. No need to maintain multiple software versions on a machine.

Last edited:
ohh i thought i needed 2 View Studio...

Then only 1 View Studio version 8.1 on a virtual machine running in 32bit windows will solve all my problem!

I will be able to convert also any runtime .MER into .MED from any version ?

Nothing new in the way of restoring MER's. If the MER is of a version that supported restoring, and restoring was allowed, then you can restore it. If the MER is of a version prior to supporting restoring MER's, then will still want an APA.

Great! Thanks alot!

Other than asking someone from Rockwell to send you a url to download a new version of view studio, is there any other way ?

That guy must be tired to send me those link !