I am engineering graduate from software field looking for a Job. Will PLC help me?

johnmuller

Hi guys, I am john and I have finished my graduation in software field and currently looking to kick start my professional career. At present I have been doing internship in one of the startup. When I was actually searching for technical jobs I found this forum and also read about PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) programming. Will it be helpful for me in my career and find a good job? Any suggestions ?

PLC is a tool. Real knowledge lies in understanding process, devices and control techniques. To learn to program a PLC you maybe need few weeks course, just to understand how PLC programming is done.
I would say it's not much related to what is usually considered programming, and I don't think it could help you in getting better job meant for 'standard' programmers. Rather, opposite would be better, having experience in higher level programming languages is quite useful skill and can be combined with PLC programming skills, especially as PLC-PC distinction is not so sharp as it was.

First you must decide on the real path you wish to follow: PLC Programming (for most) will require knowledge of process control, electrical & instrumentation, pneumatics, hydraulics temperature control the list goes on, yes you can learn these as you go on but bear in mind most PLC programmers may spend a considerable amount of time on site away from home this sometimes requires crawling over equipment, getting very dirty etc.
If you consider the above to be what you want then go for it but if you think you would like to sit in an office at a computer then think again. Yes there are jobs like that but are few & far between. not many companies employ engineers that just write programs without having to visit site to commission the projects.