Ignition AB driver to Logix 5000 emulate

radfahrer

Lifetime Supporting Member
Has anyone had any luck using Inductive's Ignition OPC UA AB driver with Logix5000 emulate? I have Ignition and Emulate5000 installed in the same VM and am hoping if I can get the connection path right that it will connect up and browse tags. I've been using Localhost for the IP address.

I've figured out how to get Ignition to talk to the emulator through OPC-DA and RSLinx topic, but that doesn't autobrowse/refresh the tags, so I wanted to try the UA driver and so far no luck in getting it to connect. I figured maybe one of the AB experts here might be able to recommend a CIP path to try in the Ignition config. Are there any special CIP values needed when trying to communicate over the Virtual Backplane? Is it even possible to do CIP through the VBP?

-Greg

Has anyone had any luck using Inductive's Ignition OPC UA AB driver with Logix5000 emulate? I have Ignition and Emulate5000 installed in the same VM and am hoping if I can get the connection path right that it will connect up and browse tags. I've been using Localhost for the IP address.

I've figured out how to get Ignition to talk to the emulator through OPC-DA and RSLinx topic, but that doesn't autobrowse/refresh the tags, so I wanted to try the UA driver and so far no luck in getting it to connect. I figured maybe one of the AB experts here might be able to recommend a CIP path to try in the Ignition config. Are there any special CIP values needed when trying to communicate over the Virtual Backplane? Is it even possible to do CIP through the VBP?

-Greg

Greg,

I could be wrong here but from what I understand, to do what you want to do you would need a softlogix controller instead of emulate. I don't believe it is possible to use emulate in this case, however I´ll leave it open to the other guys who might know more about this to help if they can. But if you already have a licence for softlogix maybe installing it might be an idea.

Regards
Ian

I say switch it to Softlogix, allows you to just use the Ethernet driver.

Otherwise for RSEmulate you probably need to use RSLinx as the OPC Server, and have Ignition talk to RSLinx as an OPC client. I have never set it up like this, and you will need to make sure your RSLinx is properly licensed to be an opc server.

Softlogix did it...

Thanks for the tips. Going to SoftLogix worked.

Didn't actually solve the reason I was trying to use the UA driver...I'm trying to figure out of direct tag referencing is possible in Ignition...I was figuring with the UA driver it might be since that is a more sophisticated driver, but doesn't look like that is the trick...but that's more of an Ignition question...have a post on their forums to see if someone can help me with that...

-Greg

Best way to approach Ignition for communication is to use their "SQL Tags" -- that way you can organize them in folders and be able to use indirect binding with templates and such as you move forward.