Ignition connected to NET-ENI to SLC5/03

gbeaker

Hi,

I am setting up a new Ignition scada project and the only PLC is a SLC 5/03. I have the SLC connected to a NET-ENI via DF1.

I have the NET-ENI IP address set and I can ping it and also view the integrated webpage, but how do I test if it is actually connected to the SLC?

I have Ignition configured to connect to a Micrologix via Ethernet using the IP address of the NET-ENI but it doesn't appear to connect. Ignition just says "Connecting...Protocol EIP" but doesn't ever say connected.

Do anyone have any ideas?

I changed the PLC type from Micrologix to SLC5/05 and it worked fine, even though it is a 5/03. I thought the NET-ENI emulated a Micrologix, but I guess not.

Thanks for posting that followup !

The two MicroLogix with built-in Ethernet (the 1100 and 1400) have some very subtle differences in how they do PCCC over EtherNet/IP compared to the SLC-5/05 controller.

Many HMI driver makers (including Rockwell !) had to patch/upgrade their drivers to support the MicroLogix 1100 when it came out, despite its strong similarities to the SLC-5/05.

The Net-ENI falls closer to the SLC-5/05 side of the fence than the MicroLogix 1100/1400. In general, HMI data server software doesn't know what type of controller is connected on the serial side of the Net-ENI, unless they explicitly ask for the identity information (like the RSLinx/RSWho browse does).

off topic, but I recommend having your plc toggle power to the net-eni every few hours or so if this is going to be some type of remote system where someone is not available to reboot the net-eni if it locks up.

Wow, lots of hate for the net-enis!

The system ran all weekend without issue so maybe it won't be so bad.

Now that the net-eni is in place, is it possible to go online via it and make programming changes?

I tried browsing my ethernet connection in RSlinx but nothing showed up.

Update

If I use the Ethernet driver and add the IP address to the scan list, I can go online and its actually pretty fast, faster than DH-485 anyways. However, if I try to use the Ethernet/IP driver, it does not find the net-eni. I have checked to make sure the sub-net is correct.

Are there other 3rd party options??

ive used digi one iap.

I think it will be fine just run power thru a digital out on your plc. you could setup a heartbeat or just reboot it every 4 hours or something. there is a reason why so many hate net eni, so do yourself a favor and get out ahead of it.