Importing FTV SE files from Customer Computer

Thanks again OG!!

That does help. This is a pretty simple system they have so I wont have to worry about the multiple HMI Servers or Data Servers.

Couple more questions: When I finally get all of the customer's files on my machine, I will be modifying the HMI Server file (.sed), correct? To transfer the modified file from my machine to the customers machine, do I use the HMI Server Backup and Restore Utility?

I am trying to get my boss to ok some AB Training on SE. So hopefully I won't have to ask so many questions in the future. (y)

Yes, the .SED file is the Site Edition Development file that you will be editing. The HMI Backup and Restore Utility can certainly work to deploy the changes if you are not able to make the changes "online".

OG

Another question came to mind last night. If I modify the .SED file and say create some new screens or add some additional items to a screen do I have to create new clients for the client machine? Of do the clients automatically pick up the change?

Thanks again.

If you are editing the live system, make a change to a graphic and then hit save (normal Windows save) and the changes are immediately available to the users. There is nothing to deploy. Nothing else that you need to do.

If a user had been viewing the display when you changed it, they would see the changes the next time they view it. So if they navigated to another display and then came right back, they would see the changes.

Don't confuse a client with a runtime (ME). When you create a client you are essentially just creating a file that identifies where the FactoryTalk Server is and what the initial graphic would be. There are a few other things, but the client does not contain any portion of the application.

OG

Great, Thanks again!!

I got permission to take the FTV SE class at the end of June so hopefully after that I wont have so many questions. (y)

If you are editing the live system, make a change to a graphic and then hit save (normal Windows save) and the changes are immediately available to the users. There is nothing to deploy. Nothing else that you need to do.

If a user had been viewing the display when you changed it, they would see the changes the next time they view it. So if they navigated to another display and then came right back, they would see the changes.

Just one gotcha on that - on the display settings for each display, you can check a box labelled "Cache after displaying". If this is checked, the client downloads the display from the server the first time it is requested, and saves the display locally in a cache. So the next time it needs that display, it's already got it and doesn't need to go back to the server to get it. If that's the case, your changes will not show up just by switching back and forth between screens.

The way to get it to refresh is either a client restart (not necessarily the whole PC, just the View SE client program), or a FlushCache command. I typically put a "flush cache" button on an engineering or settings screen somewhere - the operators don't know what it does, but it's easy enough to direct them to press it if I've made changes, and even if they do press it just to see what it does, there's no harm done.