Initial Setup of Siemens IM151-7 CPU

JiNCs

Hey folks!

I am about to program my first S7 system from beginning to end using a CPU I have never used before. My experience has been beginning to end S5 systems and modifying existing S7 programs. I consider myself a novice.

The system will be an add-on conveyor that must be pre-programmed and added to an existing S7 system.

I have begun by opening a new project in S7. The CPU I will use to run the add-on conveyor system will use an ET 200S series IM151-7 CPU that will profibus to the existing S7 system.

After opening the MPI net on NetPro I tried to add the CPU device (IM151-7 CPU). It is not shown in the listing under ET 200S. Normally under hardware/options, you update the HW config by downloading from the internet and installing the appropriate hardware in your system.

With this 'new' project, hardware is not shown in the manager and under 'options' on the NetPro window there is no HW update selection.

Keeping in mind that I want to commission the conveyor at a separate location BEFORE adding to the existing system; why is there no HW update selection to add the CPU not currently shown? How do I get the CPU added to start? Can I do this as a standalone system or do I need to add this CPU to the existing system?

In need of help,
Thanks
JiNCs

Hi Jincs.

The IM151-7 CPU hides itself in the Profibus part of the hardware catalog. This despite you can be set it up as MPI only. Nevermind.

Start creating a new S7-300 station in the HW Config.
Then open the PROFIBUS DP folder.
Browse down to ET200S.
Doubleclick on IM151-7 CPU, a 'rack' with the CPU will be added.
Proceed with adding modules to the 'rack'.
You will need a PM module in slot 4.
Add i/o modules in the next slots and so forth.

Hi JiNCs,

You have to add the CPU into the project in HW Config.
1. In Simatic Manager go to Insert>Station>Simatic 300 Station
2. Double Click on the inserted station, then double click Hardware to open HW Config
3. In HW Config you can navigate to Profibus DP>ET200S in the catalog to find your CPU, although as you say, you may need to update your catalog first.

One other thing to note: I don't think the IM151 CPUs' have DP masters built in to them, it won't be able to talk to other profibus nodes without being connected to a system with a master installed.
So if your new conveyor system contains other new profibus nodes, you will have to add a DP master card to the CPU to be able to commission it all standalone.

Regards,
Phill

I missed that he had looked in the correct place already.
Considering that IM151-7 has been around for quite some years, I suspect Jincs' STEP7 to be too old. If that is the case, it will not be possible to add the IM151-7 by updating the HW Catalog.

So, what version STEP7 is it then ?

Thanks JesperMP and Phill77!!!

I was able to get the CPU added. I missed that it needed to be added under the Simatic 300 station. After that it appeared under ET200S. I think as I am using S7 v5.4 I didn’t have to do the HW update. I will proceed from here. I had a bump as I wasn’t able to add the power module in slot3. Thanks for the tip on adding at slot4. Will proceed with adding the other modules after that as you suggest.

Thanks for the tip on another DP master. As you add the CPU a description is given that says the CPU can be stand alone or slave. In this system it will be slave . . . eventually, in a system with a DP master so I think I will be OK as a standalone for commissioning. The add-on conveyor system has no other Profibus nodes.

Right now I am having problems finding the correct power module but I think I will be able to search and destroy.

I thought I posted this response yesterday but I must have timed out on my logon.

Thanks again for the help guys!
JiNCs

Hey guys,

One last question . . .

I think I've got most everything done but when I go to the properties of the com port MPI/DP and change the type interface from MPI to PROFIBUS then try to do a save and compile I get message; "The system could not be recreated because the configuration is inconsistent."

Is it possible to change the connection to Prifibus or must it remain MPI/DP? Also, if it must remain MPI/DP, how will I make the physical connection. Will I still use a profibus cable with just the config set for MPI/DP?

By the By Phill77 you were correct about needing a DP master interface in my system. Somehow the engineers here thought that the MPI/DP connection would provide the link to both DP Master and the drive profibus nodes. Again you were correct, it cannot!

Needing more answers!
Thanks
JiNCs

Hi Jincs.

The reason you cannot compile is probably that there is no assigned master for the dp slave port.

You must create a project with both the intended master, and the IM151-7 as slave. The IM151-7 must then be connected to the masters HW config.
If you are in doubt how to accomplish this I can make a sample project for you. In that case I need all relevant information about the IM151-7 and its setup, and the intended master, and how much data must be exchanged between the two. If you need a master interface added, I need to know that too.

Thanks JeesperMP.

I may very well need your assistance and thanks for offering, but I have found out that I must set up the 151-7 to talk to the master. (add the 151 to the master) The setup will require the assignment of how much data will be passed and the address assignments. I think I understand it must be done in both the 151 and the 315-2DP that is already the master. I think I understand that the adress assignment must not interfere with what the master has already.

I will not be adding a master to the 151 but did find that I could add while setting this one up and I figured out how to do it.

Again, not to seem ungrateful or proud, but I think I'm close to figuring out what needs to be done and would like to try.

Thanks much,
JiNCs

JesperMP,
I warned you that I may very well need your assistance with finishing the 151-7 project. Well as things usually will go, I was pulled off the project to work on another more urgent matter and have gotten out of sorts with a deadline this coming Monday. I did manage to complete the program of the conveyor on the 151-7 but my concern is adding this CPU to the customers 315-2.

I am attaching the archived version of the 151-7 CPU project. Seems the 315-2 project was too large to attach. I can email both to you, minus some of the identifying blocks (couldn’t get totally in trouble by giving out their stuff) if you will provide an email address. The hardware configuration for the 315 will be included and you should have all you need to assist.

Could you please conjure up a sort of step/step listing on how to:
1)Add the 151 project to the 315
2)Set up the amount of data that will be transferred between the two CPU’s
3)The addressing of that data
(16 bits of inputs [I70.0 – I71.7] with 16bits of output [Q72.0 – Q73.7]) and . . .
4)Anything else that needs to be done at the 315

Let me thank you (warn you! Ha! :nodi:) for offering such generous help. I feel you need to be on the payroll!!
Let me also offer my understanding should you decline your assistance.

Thanks again,
JiNCs

If you snd me your persoanl email I will send you a project that has already been done. Great guys Jesper and Phill77 here on PLCS.net helped me greatly. Unfortunately you need to be a good bit proficient with using the Step7 software to follow . . . I think.

I got help with individual things I didn't know how to do from Siemens Tech Support directly . . . 800.333.7421. They are really good at helping with the mechanics of 'how to,' if you don't get too frustrated with them.

Hope I can be of help.
Good luck!

JiNCs