Inserting IO modules in Point IO rack

Valley Ind

Hello all.

I have a Point IO rack with a virarity of Input and Output modules in it.

The PLC program is done but now I find it is necessary to add Input modules to gain more Input points.

My question is: can I add a module or two and have RSLogix auto-update my PLC program so what TAG use to point to an Input in SLOT 2 now points to an Input in SLOT 4 or whatever the numbering might be?

Also, can I leave empty SLOTs in the rack for future expansion? Say maybe there is Input modules in SLOTs 1, 2, 3 and Output modules in SLOTs 4, 5, 6. Can I still have the Input modules in SLOTs 1, 2, 3 then leave SLOTs 4, 5, 6 empty and then put my Output modules in SLOTs 7, 8, 9

Thanks for the help.

You'll find the POINT I/O Selection Guide a helpful resource for architecture questions on the product. You can get it from the RA website:

http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/io/1734-point-io#/tab5

I can give specific answers about how POINT works in RSLogix 5000. The answers to your specific questions are generally "no, there are extra steps".

[C]an I add a module or two and have RSLogix auto-update my PLC program so what TAG use to point to an Input in SLOT 2 now points to an Input in SLOT 4 ?

RSLogix uses a simple slot numbered configuration, so you have to define the number of available slots and then configure modules for each of them individually. There is no "insert and move everything" or "delete and move everything" function, and no automatic slot renumbering.

When I move modules, I've always used the ordinary Search and Replace functions in RSLogix 5000. You just have to work from the right to the left.

[C]an I leave empty SLOTs in the rack for future expansion? Can I have the Input modules in SLOTs 1, 2, 3 then leave SLOTs 4, 5, 6 empty and then put my Output modules in SLOTs 7, 8, 9 ?

The POINT bus doesn't have a way to physically recognize empty slots, so there is a module specifically made to fill a slot and be recognized by the POINTbus circuitry. It's called an Address Reserve Module, part number 1734-ARM. These are commonly used by OEMs who want to have optional or expansion modules but don't want to have to reprogram or renumber or re-draw their wiring diagrams.