Installing RSLogix/Studio on Windows 10

I am running all of the versions of RSLogix/Studio 5000 from 13 to 31 on my Windows 10 OS. I did have to set the compatibility mode to "run as administrator" but I have been doing that for several years even on Windows 7. I also recall seeing a warning during the install that there 'may be compatibility issues with your OS', but they all worked.

Speaking as both a engineer and an IT guy, If you maintain proper separation of your legacy OS' VMs, you can run Win3.11 for all we care. I personally have both a XP and 7 VM I maintain my process software on.

I care a lot more when that XP VM tries to infect all the legacy devices behind the lovely firewalls.

Practice safe VM'ing!

And how often is that ;)

at this job? Not very often.

At the last one? I spent 3 days cleaning up a mess by someone who let their daughter install Barbie something or another on their work laptop that wasnt' supposed to be on the internet. Had to wipe and reinstall all the HMIs on that subnetwork.

Speaking as both a engineer and an IT guy, If you maintain proper separation of your legacy OS' VMs, you can run Win3.11 for all we care. I personally have both a XP and 7 VM I maintain my process software on.

I care a lot more when that XP VM tries to infect all the legacy devices behind the lovely firewalls.

Practice safe VM'ing!

So what is needed to separate the VM machines from the host ? No internet access ? No access to the host's drives/folders ?

What in your opinion would be acceptable ?

I am considering Linux, tell me I am wrong ...

So what is needed to separate the VM machines from the host ? No internet access ? No access to the host's drives/folders ?

What in your opinion would be acceptable ?

I am considering Linux, tell me I am wrong ...

The big 'thing' our pure IT(who don't grok process) folks worry about w/ OS support is the inability to get critical security updates to machines. They also don't want us to have them at all, but as discussed I(we) can't do our jobs w/out them.

So assuming your host has a decent AV package and a firewall of some sort, the biggest risk is usually software transfers between the VM and the unfettered network.

So, I don't allow my process VMs to access anything outside the MFG subnets(No internet) in normal operation. And I scan files that I download to the host and need to move to the VM beforehand.

Linux is a lovely choice for a host, but same caveats apply re: AV and firewall imo.
Nothing is perfect, but that's kept the pure IT folks off my back.

For what it is worth, Windows 10 runs faster than Windows 7.

I was pleasantly surprised on W10 with Rockwell Software.

I run nothing on my "Host", except office apps, everything else is on "Guest" VMWare images.

I have VMWare Workstation, and run Bridged networks for PLC and Internet access as required.

Been running like this for 3-4 years, no virus or widows updates issues.

My customer/company is forcing me from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

I need RSLogix back to 13.04 and I also need Studio Version 30, 31 & 32 for our various equipment.

What order should I install the software?

Can RSLogix go back to 13.04 on Windows 10? If not, how far back can it go?

Can RStudio go back to 13.04? If not, how far back does it go?

If there is already a thread about this, I could not find it.

Windows 10 is faster than Window 7, I was happy after the switch.

I have both RSLogix 5000 and Studio 5000 Logix Designer on the same Guest in VM with no issues on W7 image as well as W10 image.

My Host W10. I installed in different orders without any problems over time.

Run As Administrator, and turn UAC off when you install, and don't forget to run the Sept 2019 Roll-Up after any installs.

Yes, RSLogix 5000 goes back to 13, and earlier.

Studio 5000 Logix Designer goes back to 21.00.04.

I've got everything from v10 through to v32 running on Windows Server 2019, I made a thread about my experiences here