Integer Files

Jasondelane

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi, new guy here!

I'm going through a program on RSLogix 500 and it uses N files quite a bit. I'm trying to understand how the different words and bits function and affect one another.

For Example, I understand that this instruction looks for a 1 at the address N45:21/7 to actuate O:6.0/7, but I'm not sure what tells the N45:21/7 to actually change to a 1.

XIC N45:21/7 - OTE O:6.0/7

I'll just attach the file and if anyone wants to explain it to me that would be great :D

the address N45:21 is controlled at the Word level in two places in your program ... do a Find All search for N45:21 ...

note that the Mask in the MVM instruction is currently set for 0000h - which means that it was "shooting blanks" when the screen shot was made - but the MVM instruction COULD control the bit N45:21/7 if the Mask gets set to an appropriate pattern ...

word_level_control.jpg

Last edited:
the address N45:21 is controlled at the Word level in two places in your program ... do a Find All search for N45:21 ...

note that the Mask in the MVM instruction is currently set for 0000h - which means that it was "shooting blanks" when the screen shot was made - but the MVM instruction COULD control the bit N45:21/7 if the Mask gets set to an appropriate pattern ...

After using the "Find All" at word level and reading a little more into integer files, I made a lot of progress today. I traced the integer file progression from the input of the limit switches to the output of the saw solenoids, and really learned a lot about the differences in binary and decimal Integer Data tables. Thanks Ron again for the help. I'll be trying out the changes I made to the program on Sunday so we'll see how it goes.

If this program is for the Trim Saws at a sawmill, most likely there are more than 1a bit setting involved. Usually there is an encoder that tracks the position of each board on a chain. As the board goes through an inspection station, the inspector pushes buttons to set trim saws on one end, both ends, or the center of a long board (if needed). These settings follow the board using Bit Shift Registers. As the board reaches the trim saw bank (up to 16 saws), the saws that need to cut are lowered automatically based on the bit pattern, and make 1 or more cuts on the board.