inverter or contactor

tny said:
...i am trying to decrease energy consumption of a whole conveyor system....

Then shut it off, the best way to save energy is don't use it, I have just completed a audit of our plant and the greatest savings were in shutting down machines that could afford to be idle, look into other ideas, can you speed your conveyor up then cycle off for a longer duration? that will be a larger savings.

Off Topic...

Automation_Tech,

Did your audit include any evaluation of the cost of air per scfm? We are a distributor and are always trying to help customers decide between electric actuators and pneumatic cylinders (I don't push one over the other, we sell both).

I'm always looking for unbiased data on the cost of air in an industrial environment.

If you have it and are allowed to share it I would be very interested.

Thanks,

Hello Norman,
I did not do that specifically, do to the fact that mine are existing and it would not be feasible to change them, but in my searching’s I did find some interesting information…

● Compressed air cost is six times greater to produce 1 hp of pneumatic energy vs electrical energy.
● 25% of air cost in a typical plant is the result of simple leaks.
● A 2 psi reduction in air pressure equates to 1⁄4hp cost reduction in electricity, or about $110 per year. (1 cfm = 1⁄4 hp = 0.207 kw at $0.06/kwh at 8760 hr/yr=$110/yr)
● The higher the operating pressure, the higher the cost
● Compressor efficiency impacts costs — many run continuous duty when not necessary.
● Combining smart engineering, zero leakage products, and best pneumatics practices provides cost-effective

Best pneumatic practices: Air leakage rates and cost
($0.24/mcf 8760 hr/yr @100 psig)1⁄16
-in. diameter leak = 6.5 cfm = $8001⁄8
-in. diameter leak = 26 cfm = $32081⁄4
-in. diameter leak = 103 cfm = $12,8123⁄8
-in. diameter leak* = 234 cfm = $29,113
* While almost no systems would have3⁄8-in. leaks, the sum total of all leaks in a system may be equal to this figure.

Credits
http://www.parker.com/pneumatics/PDFs/Automate_With_Air_August06.pdf

Interesting publication that I found useful
http://www.plantservices.com/articles/2005/475.html

I feel compelled to clear up a few myths here (dons Myth Busters cap).
jamie1.jpg

1) Reducing startup current will NOT, repeat NOT save ANY energy! Current, yes. Energy, as in kWH, NO! You cannot fool mother nature. It takes a given finite amount of energy to make something move from one place to another, including turning a cylinder at rest into a rotating one. There is NO WAY AROUND THAT! When you start Across-the-Line (DOL for your IEC types), the time/energy curve is very steep, but very short. When you start with a soft starter or VFD, it is very low, but very long. No matter what, the area under the curve, representing the amount of energy consumed to move it from a stand-still to the desired speed, is exactly the same total. There is a minute amount of theoretical savings in using a VFD because of what DickDV said, the VFD allows the motor to start at a higher power factor, so more of the energy being used is doing useful work, but at the same time, the VFD has conversion and switching losses, so in general is evens out, maybe a little to the plus side for savings, but nothing to get excited about.

2) Starting current is, 99.9999999999% of the time, NOT seen by the utility demand meter on something like a conveyor system, or any other load that gets to speed in under 15 MINUTES! This is because the demand meter has what is called a 15 minute sliding demand window. Any change in power (not current, because they don't bill on current) is not recorded until it has remained changed for 15 minutes. Some utilities even use a 30 minute demand window. There are a very few, and by that I mean under 50, small secondary utilities across the US that have what are called "ratcheting instantaneous demand meters" installed. These are second tier utilities who buy their power from larger ones and resell it, usually in rural areas. There are so few that it is not worth considering for the most part. Unfortunately, the snake-oil sellers who try to sell you "energy savers" seize upon the existence of these few utilities as a reason why you should be concerned about starting current, but the reality is that for 99.9999999% of us, it makes absolutely NO difference.

3) Any AC motor pulls whatever energy it needs to do the work required of it, plus a little bit in losses. Energy efficient motors can ONLY deal with the little bit of losses, they CANNOT change the fundamental amount of energy it takes to do the work. The same holds true for VFDs, except for one very important difference. If the application CAN require less work and that lower workload can be done at a slower motor speed, then using the VFD to change speed instead of a gearbox will end up modifying the motor's energy consumption to match the load requirements. These are a lot of "ifs" and cannot be taken flippantly, but in theory, if you can slow down your conveyors and still get the same total amount of work done, you might save energy.

Last edited:
Maybe look at power factor correction. In AU we can install PFC and then change to a different tarrif that is charged aot a lower rate. Also menas you get better usage from your distribution network.

Where I work all of our conveyors are on VDS's but this is to provide bottle control.

Don's Myth-Busters --Busted!

Starting current is, 99.9999999999% of the time, NOT seen by the utility demand meter on something like a conveyor system, or any other load that gets to speed in under 15 MINUTES! This is because the demand meter has what is called a 15 minute sliding demand window. Any change in power (not current, because they don't bill on current) is not recorded until it has remained changed for 15 minutes.
Don,
You did not mention a very important case: A plant where many small motors start and stop repeatedly throughout the day. In that case, the higher starting currents DO last for 15 minutes, maybe for the entire 8-hour shift, and that DOES cause the electric utility Demand Factor to go up and results in higher electric bills.

Tny,
If the problem is a higher power demand factor caused by starting many conveyor motors over a 10-minute period of time, then use a PLC to start one at a time, then wait 15 seconds, then start the next one. On conveyors, I always set up a master start timer and a master stop timer. Each conveyor motor has allocated start and stop times (relative to 0 seconds = when main control pushbutton is pressed).

Also consider installing power factor correction capacitors. If your power factor is 0.65 or less, then power factor correction capacitors generally will pay for themselves in 5 years or less.

Example: My customer run a small manufacturing plant that had about 30 small motors and a 75 HP air compressor. The motors start and stop periodically. The electric bill was $800 per month. I looked at the power factor on the meter (KW/KVA) and it was running around 0.68. I looked in a capacitor table and found that I needed 20 KVAR to bring the power factor up to 0.95. I found a used 480 volt 3-phase capacitor on E-Bay for $200. I installed it and the bill dropped to $600 per month.

Last edited:
Actually, staggered starting is in fact a very legitimate tool to reduce demand chanrges. Soft starting or using a VFD will not do so on their own however, that is what I was addressing.

And your PF cap example is very likely as well. Utilities don't charge directly for power factor, but they do usually assess penalties in the form of multipliers to the basic kWH rate, so improving pf can definitely reduce the power bill even though the kWH will not go down.

There is, as I see, 2 questions here, to save ENERGY in conveyor systems:

one is: To save REACTIVE power starting motors and gearboxes;

Second: To save energy during working period

As I see, all of discusion before is about REACTIVE power and starting; it depends of course how your electricy provider charge this;

But for discussion also can be mechanical load, which can be influenced so much in energy consumption here; and first question is waisting energy in gearboxes; but; if you just release a bit tension of belts you can vary amperage for a significant percentage; also, just greasing bearings can lower the amperage of whole system significantly; then, I will try to consider all mechanical aspects and parts which can rise the amperage and consumption of power. I have some conveyor when I decreased the amperage to the 65% of amp. before just releasing tension in the belts for a little; it was so strong frapped before.

Then, my advice is to look about possible reason for mechanical overload; then look about electrical.

Regards, Misamark