IP Address change in ETHERNET-MODULE

Sean Teague

I am attempting to change the IP addresses on a machine that we have. The reason is that we have several machines with several different IP's and id like to have a common IP (192.168.1.1) for all processors. (our IT dept. does not like giving admin rights to everyone to be able to change adapter settings)

anyways,

the machine in question had the following:
Processor
HMI
2 Cognex cameras
2 Torque Drivers
1 Robot
1 IAI MSEP Module

I am having problems with the robot and MSEP module.

They communicate with the PLC thru a ETHERNET_MODULE generic ethernet module in the network tree in the program.

What i have done is:
go offline, change the IP address in the ETHERNET-MODULE
then redownload
then i went to the devices themselves and changed the IP address to match

but, I get the little yellow triangle on the ethernet module and it says its faulted.

Do i need to delete the ETHERNET-MODULE all together then create a new one with my new IP? or is there something else im missing?

I can change the processor IP, hmi IP, camera IP's and torque driver IP's with no issues, but the hardware that is communicating thru the generic ethernet modules is not communicating after the change.

You cannot do that. Each IP MUST be unique on the network at the local level.

Now if you build up a standard, if 192.168.X.1 as your Processors. then you will always know its on .1 of the X ip group your working with, leave space for additionall processors on .2 .3, etc if you think you need it. But under no circumstance at the local level can devices have the same IP.

I didnt mean it that way...

my processor is 192.168.1.1
hmi 192.168.1.2
drivers 1.3 and 1.4
cameras 1.5 and 1.6
robot 1.7
msep module 1.8

right now everything on the machine is 192.168.0.xx, but i want to change everything to 192.168.1.xx which will prevent anyone from having to change ethernet adapter settings to connect to this machine vs. other machines we have.

To expand a bit on what Nova is saying, you can set all your IP's to be the same as long as your individual machine networks are not connected to each other. I think what you want to do is have your PC adapter set to a single IP address so that you don't have to change it and so that you know it won't conflict with your machine ethernet devices, right?

What you are doing should work, but check to be sure the IP really changed on the robot and IAI device. After the change, run an IP scanner or ping them to be sure. Sometimes you may have to restart a device after a change for the address to really update.

everything we have is independant, so that should not be a problem.

So i should not have to delete the ethernet module and create a new one?

Sorry for my silly question, I see you did say that you changed the devices.

You do not have to delete the module and re-add it. What you did is correct (change the IP, download). That assumes that you didn't accidentally change the data structure in any way in the MESP when you were changing the IP Address. I remember there being configuration for "simple' and "full" for each controller in your MSEP chassis. These settings change the number of words that will be mapped. If that configuration somehow changed, the number of words in the ETHERNET-MODULE would be wrong.

If you go to connection tab of the generic module, is there any status/error message there that indicates what might be wrong?

I didnt mean it that way...

my processor is 192.168.1.1
hmi 192.168.1.2
drivers 1.3 and 1.4
cameras 1.5 and 1.6
robot 1.7
msep module 1.8

right now everything on the machine is 192.168.0.xx, but i want to change everything to 192.168.1.xx which will prevent anyone from having to change ethernet adapter settings to connect to this machine vs. other machines we have.

Ahh, expand your subnet.
If your PC IP of 192.168.0.X and has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 then it can only talk to 192.168.0.X
if you expand it to 255.255.0.0 You can then talk to 192.168.X.X

Wait... might not be able to do that with IT lording over you and locking out the network config.... you'll have to get IT to give you open and reserved IPs for your hardware.

Last edited:
Ahh, expand your subnet.
If your PC IP of 192.168.0.X and has a subnet of 255.255.255.0 then it can only talk to 192.168.0.X
if you expand it to 255.255.0.0 You can then talk to 192.168.X.X

His PLC is on 1.1 and MSEP is on 1.8, they will not talk to each other, it is likely not a subnet issue. He's just saying that everything is being changed from 0.x to 1.x. He now has one device that won't communicate after the change.

Misunderstoond, lack of sleep brainfog.

Possibility of a IP Address conflict then OP?

Disconnect the 1.8 device from the network. Now try and ping it. It should fail... if you get ping responses then there is something sitting on that IP.

Never let IT people put their hands on automation equipment.
I got more than 80 plcs etc, etc, and I got my own network when they need any data, they use a gateway installed by them just to that purpose.
So ERP can have data online any time.