IP67 Ethernet Switch

alwalker

I've been watching and learning from this website for several years, but this is the first question I've asked.

I am looking at networking several machines together on Ethernet. All of the machines are already ethernet capable, SLC 5/05's and Micrologix 1500's with 1761-NET-ENIs. There won't be any critical I/O on the network, just some messaging and I would like to be able to plug my lap top up in one place and see all the machines at one time.

I am thinking about going with an IP67 rated ethernet switch with M12 ports because I have had a lot of trouble in the past with RJ45 connections. I have looked at these from Hirschmann, Moxa, and Turck.

AB has these field wireable connectors but I am not sure what kind of cable I am suppossed to use with these. Do I use plain old Cat 6, or is there a special cable that I need to use. I can find the diagram of the cable, but no spec on what to use. I've got calls in to several different vendors this morning, but I'm waiting for them to return my calls, so I thought I would ask the experts here.

Thank you in advance.

I used to use the field wireables but now I try to buy pre-terminated cables. I hate spending the time making cables when I don't have to. There are many vendors that make D-coded M12 connectors with whatever you may want on the other end.

Specifically, though, I have not had much luck using just any old cable for ethernet unless the run is short. If I do make my own M12 cables for ethernet, I still use Cat5 or Cat6 cable so I can get the twisting. If not, I end up with a lot of connection issues and errors. But will plain ol' Cat6 cable meet your environmental needs?

Another option is the IP67 RJ45 plug, like the ones here. I actually prefer these - I find it more flexible to have these parts around because I can still use these plugs in regular RJ45 jacks, and use regular plugs in these receptacles (albeight without the IP67 rating, of course) for testing and short term emergencies.

Honestly, I've got more than 500 plain ol' RJ45's on the plant floor, and have no trouble with any of them. The real 'secret' I've found, is I NEVER terminate an actual RJ45 Male plug. Period. I buy patch cables, and invest the small amount of extra up-front cost in real punch-down female jacks for my cable runs.

Of course, I don't have any environmentally sealed connections, all are within panels. External 'Service Ports' are Graceports.

IP67 Ethernet switches use so-called D-coded M12 connectors - very similar to a typical M12 connector on a proximity switch but with a different keying.

Usind field-wireable connectors where there is vibration present usually spells trouble. If you are willing to cash out for an IP67 switch (and they are more expensive than the ordinary ones), you better buy molded manufactured cables from a good brand. I can vouch for Turck - they have a lot of them, look at their web site. You can go M12 to M12 or M12 to RJ45 - the stuff is well built and sturdy.

Once again, the stuff is not cheap so make sure there is enough justification to use it (IP67 is a "washdown" duty, you can spray water onto it). Maybe buying molded RJ45 cables, as it was suggested above, and sticking with regular switches could be a less expensive solution.