Is CAT 6 cable too good?

BillRobinson

Last year I was involved in a mysterious project.

The project was adding another HMI computer to an existing network. The contractor bought cat 6 ethernet cable and ran it less that 20m from the PLC down the hall to the new computer. The cable was terminated by the contractor and verified by testing equipment to be properly terminated. No high EMF devices were in it's the path so it seemed like a simple run; however, communications were in-and-out. Pinging from the new machine verified this. The cat 6 cable was re-terminated and retested and still no change.

Communications was finally restored when we connected our Radio-shack cat 5e cables through the building internet terminal wiring. We connected through the building ethernet wiring because our radio-shack cables were too short.

After asking a networking guy we were told that cat 6 is too good for PLC networks that work under 1 GB transmission.

Anybody else here this? Any thoughts?

???!!!
CAT6 is fine, as long as it is properly terminated with proper termination connectors. Proper termination almost always means punching down into a CAT6 Female receptacle. Crimping a male plug onto the end is just asking for trouble.

cat6 is fine and if you were going near a high RF/EMI point I'd use cat6 stp cable and ground the sheild

and also I'd only use a female set of ends on it as I wouldn't trust a crimped end with cat6

and if its a patch cable that is going a short lenth (patch panel to switch) I'd want to use cat6A

and 5e can do gig even 10gig over copper (the 10g copper interfaces use two cables) 6 and 6A are really just for overkill times or if you don't want ANY interferance