Is EDS-file necessary for Generic Ethernet Module, CLX

spaderkung

Hi,

When using the generic ethernet module instead of the AOP, will the EDS-file still be necessary? I've seen some programs where I don't understand the use of the generic module when there are easily available AOP.

But, in our case it is also sold programming licenses for Studio 5000 to be installed by the customer themselves on a future PC. Then if we use AOP we must supply them with all the EDS as well. Will the use of generic ethernet module eliminate the need for additional installs on the client PC?

BR

All modules need the proper EDS file for its hardware, even people making "generic" modules will have a proper EDS file for it, chech with that manufacturer.

It's the generic ethernet module that is selectable from studio 5000. Even if an eds is required I don't see why, because the ethernet/ip protocol is implemented in the partner. There is no communication to the hardware of the partner, just what's exposed.

If the object is in the Studio 5000 I/O tree as a Generic Ethernet Module then no EDS file or AOP is required to be registered or installed, and there will be no lost functionality in the project.

When I do multi-vendor controller projects, I consolidate all the EDS files and AOPs that I have used, and deliver them along with all the project configuration files.