I've had enough of the 'Tech' bull!

Well, as the old saying goes. In your plant you might be one of the best, around here your just one of the rest.

I guess Yam785 just had a hard time accepting that.

Is that similar to "Shotgunning", where you replace all the parts in order to make sure you got the bad one?
icon10.gif

Rube said:
Is that similar to "Shotgunning", where you replace all the parts in order to make sure you got the bad one?
icon10.gif

At a GE factory school a long time ago, we were told that it is more cost effective to replace a couple of small parts, then waste a couple of hours trying to determine which part is actually bad. This works out fairly well when doing component level repairs in an emergency or pressure situation.

Similar to replacing a PLC card on a down machine when half the plant is looking over your shoulder waiting, when there is a possibility that it may not be the problem.

At time time I am writing this, yam has not logged back in under his ID. Maybe he is gone for good, maybe he will reappear as a guest or under a new ID. If he doesn't return, it is his loss.

I looked over my buddy list a few days back, and saw quite a few names that I haven't seen on here in a long time. Many were regulars. Checking the last time they logged in, many haven't been on for a year or more. Some were on a few days earlier, but hadn't posted in a considerable long time. Why??? I don't know.

Not counting the one post wonders, or the one semester students, or those realy not interested...Perhaps someone can quit plcs.net cold turkey. plcs.net is addictive. If someone is that strongly opinionated, then yes, bye bye.

We have bashing of all types. I am trying not to bash that one big PLC manufacturer so much, and am doing much better. Normally, in a shop environment, Engineering Bashing is generally only second to Management Bashing.

Sorry to say it, time for another poll.

Regards All.....kc

Last edited:
Well we've kinda hijacked the thread but I think that's a good thing. I agree there are some instances where the symptom is so vague that the quickest way to the fix is "shotgunning", however, I would say that most of the time it takes less time to just replace the bad part. Luckily I know how to do both!

Alaric said:
I use the term 'bubba' all the time. It does not refer to anyone in particualar but rather a generic term for someone who is NOT plc literate but is tasked with figuring out something because a Tech is not available - therfore it is a temproary generic term for a temporary conditon.
I understand and the posts on this thread indicate that lots of others do too. I was just observing that yam seemed to take it personally.

What a clown the original poster is , but the biggest one is Stephen Luft !

So Stephen , what was the answer to the guy's post who wanted to know what colour PLC is best for for installation in panel that runs only on Sundays - come off it mate , there are such things as a stupid question , and if the replies that are given offend you , I suggest you personally visit the poster and give them free advice and training until they don't ask what are nothing more or less than a waste of time .
People who post here have ego's , you know why ? because some of them are pretty damned smart , and deserve to puff out their chests.

[People who post here have ego's , you know why ? because some of them are pretty damned smart , and deserve to puff out their chests.[/QUOTE]

I'm new to plcs.net, but the info I've gotten has help me. If you want to puff out your chest and poke fun at my questions, fine. Just so I still get the answers I'm looking for and the help I need to domy job better. In time, I'll hope to be on of you whop have the answers, soI can help someone else.

If I ask a boneheaded question, I would expect someone to call me on it. I expect to be ridiculed on this post and my splling. It is what makes us technical people stick together in the workforce and strive to do better.

Rick Densing said:
Puffing out your chest doesn't impress anyone. It usually has the opposite effect.

But Rick, what the hell, let them puff out their chest...from where i'm typing I can't see it anyways

:p

jthomes said:
[People who post here have ego's , you know why ? because some of them are pretty damned smart , and deserve to puff out their chests

I'm new to plcs.net, but the info I've gotten has help me. If you want to puff out your chest and poke fun at my questions, fine. Just so I still get the answers I'm looking for and the help I need to domy job better. In time, I'll hope to be on of you whop have the answers, soI can help someone else.

If I ask a boneheaded question, I would expect someone to call me on it. I expect to be ridiculed on this post and my splling. It is what makes us technical people stick together in the workforce and strive to do better.

Sometimes, spelling mistakes are indicative of being in a hurry and not taking the time to formulate your question. I make that mistake as well, but I am always re-reading my comments to verify my spelling.

I have noticed as of late more and more people from the area I am in. Someday, I would like to meet you all.

I have learned to ignore all the chest puffing and pounding. In my area, I am well known and respected and that is enough for me. I do not need to add to that. I know that I am usually the last line when I am called in.

And oh yeah, to the original poster on bashing. I will take him up on his offer anytime. I have been in many situations that are costing the company thousands of dollars a minute for downtime, and have come through. I am unclear where he thinks women were being bashed in that ariginal thread. In fact, I think almost all of encouraged the father to let his daughter loose down that path and encourage her. The general consensus is that we do not see many women in this field. The only, if you want to call it negative experience I have had with a woman programmer, I said she relied too much on her lesser male predecessors to be good at this point. When she figures that out, she will do fine.
David

Last edited:
The funny thing is, my wife is a teacher and I get bashed more there for spelling and grammer than I do by anyone else for being a technician. I was once told we went to school to do technical work like design, not for spelling.

A trick to use to help with spelling and/or grammar is use Word. Open a blank document and type what you want to say then do a spell/grammar check if ok then copy and paste it into a reply window. This allow 2 things, you will not lose the info if there is a glitch when you submit AND allows you to review the thread to see if a reply has been made so you can alter your reply if necessary.

There is also a handy tool called IESpell. It lets you spell check any text boxes that appear in your browser. I use it all the time and while it misses some stuff its a lot better than leaving me to spell on my own.