I've made a mistake..

Much of this business is risk management. If you can afford the risk of leaving your customer with something other than new condition components, then go for it - continue with the 'damaged' unit. As previously stated, your reputation is at stake.

rootboy re-capped HIS Amiga 4000 (not his customer's).

I work for the end user, and we don't necessarily get new parts when the old ones go bad. Worse still, some of the gear that we use is obsolete and even if we had the money for a new one, we would have a heck of a time finding them.

So occasionally I'll have some item or another left at my desk that needs fixing up. The nice thing about it is by the time that I get it, it's one stop away from the dumpster. I really can't fail since it's considered a hopeless cause anyway.

Last month it was about 10 grand worth of gear that I repaired (the parts said "Fanuc" on the front, so it wasn't like it was a big job... :) ).

And today it was an AC to cigarette lighter adapter that the Body shop folks were using to power a dent lamp. The connection between the 12 volt cigarette plug and the socket was getting intermittent so I removed the plug and the socket and soldered the 12 volt wires directly to the AC adapter board.

Our motto: "We void warranties"

theripley said:
I've made a mistake..

We all make mistakes, but don't turn one mistake into two. Replace it and move on.

I know you've mentioned "client " work here before so...

It's one thing repairing stuff in house, or even for a client, when it's very old equipment and hard to find components or a replacement. But if it is for a client, and you can easily replace it, then I'd do just that.

If you're worrying about picking up the tab, then similar to what has been advised, think what the cost to your reputation will be?

That is if they even know you half cooked it already, do they?

(Maybe you're half thinking of a callout charge in the not to distant future? I know, I have a very suspicious mind!).

Regards
George

Remember your motto:

"Complacency is the enemy of greatness"

Erika, you have come a long way forward in the past 7 years. Be great and do the right thing.

The PSU cannot be trusted after what happened.
You can use it yourself in a test-rig for example, but not for an end-customer.
If you do you use it in a test-rig or something like that, be sure to label it "unreliable, not to be used for an end-customer".

Assuming that this piece of equipment belongs to a customer, I would ask “what would I do if the customer knew what happened”? I’m guessing they would not want a damaged piece of equipment. I agree with the comment “Just replace it and learn from it, be done with it”.