Kinetix 1394C-SJT22-D - replace question

Robotroc

Hello all,

Before to action i have a question because i'm not sure about a thing.

I have a damage Kinetix 1394C-STJ22-D series D, firmware ver 1.080. Can i replace it with Kinetix 1394C-STJ22-D series C , firmware ver. 1080 or with Kinetix 1394C-STJ22-D series D , firmware ver 1.085 ??. I have also another two with firmware 1.085 and 1.058.

What is the difference between series D and C. It's necessary to respect this series ? What variant can chose ?

Thank you very much !!
Have a nice day !

The plugs on the bottom were different between some series, not sure which though.

And 1394's are not a Kinetix drive, it is a stand alone motion controller (with up to 4 axes per controller) that AB made quite a few years ago and has been obsolete for some time.

Also you will need the GML programming software to load the porgram into it, ulpoading from a 1394 will only give you the script file (machine code) which can then be downloaded to the new controller.

Alan.

Last edited:
I think that 1394C with SERCOS were the first generation of motion controllers that connected to the ControlLogix and the classic 1756-M08SE motion control modules over fiber optics, about 15 years ago.

1394GMC were the older Graphical Motion Language (GML) standalone motion controllers.

Series D hardware added 8 MB SERCOS (the older ones were 4 MB only) but should otherwise be compatible with the rest of the older system.

The firmware compatibility might be trickier to figure out. I don't think that firmware prior to 1.85 could run via ControlFlash over the SERCOS connection; you needed a 1203-SSS or 1203-USB and a connection directly to the drive and the use of Hyperterminal. It's been a long time since I did that.

I think you will have the most success by loading the exact same firmware as was running previously: version 1.80.