Kinetix 6500 no SS_Out but no Faults

pbenoit

I had to replace a Kinetix 6500 Control Module (ver2.010) with a new ver 3.003 on the 6th drive on a backplane. Control Module booted up fine but then gave a SS Flt 09 on reset indicating a wiring problem on the safety inputs. After days of chasing wiring replacing drives, backplane and the faulting control module with a version 2.023. Rockwell suggested downgrading firmware to ver 2.020 to make the other 5 control modules.

The control module no longer faults on reset but if does not output 24vdc on SS_Out ch 0 or 1 (terminals 21 and 22) even though there are not faults and there is an SS_In on terminals 19 and 20 from the previous control module/drive. The system has also been wired to use the SS_Out to go to the SS_In of the next drive and finally to a safety input on the PLC to complete the drive safety circuit. This has worked fine for 6 years.

Has anyone ever seen this with a downgraded 6500 control module? How do you get it to output on SS_Out channels with no obvious fault?

Update: The safety configuration was not setup. Looking at the safety config through a web browser on our HMI was the issue. Using a IE shortcut does not show the drives actual safety config (RA Tech Note 606402). Once we connected to the drive directly and typed in the IP address into IE the actual safety config came up and we were able to set up it up correctly so that the downgraded control module would use SS_Out and complete our safety circuit.

Hindsight it was a stupid oversight but hopefully this info and the tech note helps someone in the future.