Lack of Serial Port on New Laptops

Fitz

What solutions are available for dealing with the lack of a serial port on newer laptops?

I am using the A-B 9300-USBS, but what about other applications? For example, I have a project using a TCP QuickPanel Jr.

Thanks.

I just finished a contract position at a company that furnished me with a laptop with no serial port. However, later I got a docking station for it that did have a serial port. It was light enough to carry out to the floor, but was still a pain.

The best solution is to be sure to know what you are getting when you purchase a new computer.

Believe it or not, I still use my old vintage '97 Compaq for a lot of field work. I upgraded to Win98 from Win95 to support RS Logix 500, and everything works fine. Since my work is in dirty power plant environments, I would cry if I got a "nice" computer all dirty.

(An advantage I have over many of you is that I don't do a lot of graphic terminal work requiring more powerful computers.)

On a similar note, my desktop computer doesn't have a DVD drive. I'm amazed at how many vendors (A-B for one) are sending me information (catalogs on disk, etc.) in this format.

Fitz,

This problem has been discussed here many times. On this site, do a Search using this: "USB serial port".

Jimmie_Ohio said:
On a similar note, my desktop computer doesn't have a DVD drive. I'm amazed at how many vendors (A-B for one) are sending me information (catalogs on disk, etc.) in this format.

At least you can put a DVD drive in for under $30

Rick Densing said:
Just bought a Dell Latitude D810- still has a serial port.

BTW- absolutely love it.

My boss likes Gateway so I just got an M680. I do the AutoCAD here too, so I asked for a widescreen. It has four USB ports and no serial. I love mine too, except for that.

Thanks for the link, Stephen.

Should my 9300-USBS be capable of the same thing as the cable in that link, or is it dedicated to A-B only?

AutomationDirect.com also has a serial to USB adapter that I've used with several PC/PLC/HMI systems. It doesn't seem to work well with Allen Bradley.

A number of people have reported problems with USB to serial converters of various brands. I personally have had better luck with PCMIA serial cards.

Fitz said:
What solutions are available for dealing with the lack of a serial port on newer laptops?

There are still plenty of laptops with serial posts. I am looking for a new laptop. The Dell XPS doesn't have one so I am thinking of switching to a Sager NP9860. I WIL NOT USE USB TO SERIAL CONVERTER. THEY WASTE TIME. Save yourself some grief. If the laptop doesn't have a serial port don't buy it.

We are going to build a USB interface into our new products so USB to serial converter will not be required. USB is very fast compared to serial but not as fast as the ratio of the bit rates would lead you do believe.

THIS is one of the threads that Lancie mentioned. As others have said, in this business, you really MUST buy a laptop with a serial port, period. When my previous laptop died, I used one with no serial port for a few months. My results are in that thread I linked to above. It's not worth the aggravation. I've had my HP NC8000 for nearly a year now, and it has worked with every serial device I've thrown at it (so far).

The OS may also have some effect on USB to serial adapters. One of our engineers recently bought a Compaq laptop with no serial port, with WinXP Home Edition loaded. He wanted to connect his (serial) drawing tablet, so I gave him my old USB to serial adapter. It didn't work, so I tried it on my laptop which has XP Pro, and it worked fine (using the same USB to serial adapter)... :confused:

🍻

-Eric

I recently bought a new laptop with a serial port.
I also found that all major manufacturers still carry a range of models with serial ports.
The best thing to do is carefully specify your PC to have all the features you need, and carefully review what you are going to get before you buy it.
Too many people look and go "I need a pentium 4" or "I want a pentium M" without checking all the other stuff.
Do you need:
* A serial port? What about for old PLCs, VSDs, programmable level detectors and Cisco Switches?
* A printer port? Do you have old printers or plotters that you need to use? or Citect dongels? or old Autocad dongels? Or parallel port Eprom programmers?
* PCMCIA ports, or more importantly -DUAL PCMCIA ports- Without a dual port you may not be able to use Modbus Plus converters.
* How many USB ports, One for the mouse, one for the Siement USB to MPI converter, One for the memory stick, one for the digital camera, Are they USB 1.1 or 2.0? Maybe you need some more, dual PCMCIA port, remember that?
* CD burner (These are normally standard now, but some IT sections of some companies have special arrangements.....)
* Floppy disc drive, forget this and you can be really badly off, also some older software requires internal FDD to pass authentication keys.
* Spare battery, with this you can often get 7 hour out of a new Centrino setup.
* Win XP home or Proffessional, if you don't specify count on getting the cheapest.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug_Adam said:
A printer port?
I've yet to see a laptop where the parallel port is 'optional', but I'm sure they exist. I'm amazed that the parallel port has outlived the serial port on laptops. Especially since it takes up the most 'real estate' on the back panel. Probably 95% of all laptop parallel ports are only ever used for printers, yet nearly any printer you buy today is USB... :rolleyes:

My new laptop has yet to have had anything plugged into its parallel port, and I doubt it ever will. I would have preferred to have a COM2 in its place. Heck, there's probably enough room for a COM2 AND a COM3 in place of the parallel port... ;)

🍻

-Eric

Eric,
You can get laptops without the printer port, but I haven't seen any with a serial port and without a printer port.
Citect seem to be changing over to USB dongels, and the office has connected the plotter to an Ethernet to parallel port, but for now I still need it for a little while yet.

Doug

Peter Nachtwey said:
so I am thinking of switching to a Sager NP9860.

Paul Davis has a Sager laptop that is at least 9 years old, and still uses the original battery. I was impressed with their display in 1996 when I first saw it, better then many new ones today.

If I had the money, (or any money), I would go for the Sager!

Kim Komando's tip on laptops...avoid Microns, the Pentium 4 chip will give your "LAP" a major BURN!

regards.....casey

Last edited: