Lack of Serial Port on New Laptops

All Dell Latitude laptops have RS232 port. Inspirons used to have it but the times have changed. USB converters can work with one and not with another device so even though i use them all the time as secondary port, i would not relly on it. I don't think this would work under DOS either but this is hardly important nowdays, I don't remember using any DOS software in a long time. Compatiblility of the PCMCIA cards with RS232 ports seam to be way better but the PCMCIA slots are now fewer than before (usually only one per laptop).

I know of some models of HP-Compaq notebooks still offering serial ports. The Compaq NX6120 my boss got has a serial port, and also multi-card reader.

Rick Densing said:
Just bought a Dell Latitude D810- still has a serial port.

BTW- absolutely love it.

Rick,

Does your 810 have a firewire port? I got my D800 back in October of last year and it does have one on the left side. We recently needed to order another Latitude and it looked to me like the firewire was optional on the 810.

No firewire. USB 2.0

Haven't had a need for it, either.
Is there a reason you need it? Vidcam?
I have been shopping and most are usb2.0 or both.

You can get pccard 1394 ports.

Mainly wanted it because I have an external firewire drive that I use for back-ups. But you are right. With USB 2.0 firewire is not really much of an issue anymore.

rta53 said:
Mainly wanted it because I have an external firewire drive that I use for back-ups. But you are right. With USB 2.0 firewire is not really much of an issue anymore.

How did you find the speed of firewire for backing up?

******* offers many serial port expansion options, including USB to serial and also Ethernet to serial. Feel free to browse at www.*******.com or contact me directly for additional detail. If interested, I can coordinate getting you an evaluation unit at no charge for testing.

Jason Reiling
763-494-4144