Lenze/AC Tech Simple Servo 940 ISSUES

James Fillmore

Lifetime Supporting Member
More of a heads up, warning may be a little strong but probably warrented.

Management selected on the recommendation distributor AC Tech 940 servo drives, mainly on cost.

- I wanted Ethernet I/P because I was using CompactLogix, had 3 axis' and needed to change position, accel, decel, velocity often via the HMI. The units were supplired with Ethernet I/P manuals had Preliminary/Beta on the front.
- Installed 3 drives on a simple demo machine. 3 failed within days. Lenze said the p[roblem was grounding resitors in a new safety connector that had burned up. Thier fault. took me a day and a half of wasted time to make sue it wasn't anything I was doing or had done in configuration or programming before calling the local distributor support.
- Wrote a homing routine by calling thier internal home sequence via Ethernet I/P. Drive would lock up tight, stop communicating and require a power down and reboot. AC Tech said they know and I would have to work around that :O
- Also "Homing" and "Home" status bits don't work in the Assembly Word (that is accesable easily instead of using messaging). AC Tech said they know. Use a work around and constantly poll using messaging to another varible and then decode a long integer to get the 2 bits I need.
- "Homed" bit resets occasionally (every 2 or 3 power down/up cycles) on power up even though backup/keep alive power is maintained.
- There is no way to reverse direction on the AC system that would be similar to swapping the motor leads on a DC system. The reason I need this feature is because we are using Exlar actuators - the motor turns backwards to extend the shaft. AC Tech said work around. Said to negate all my motion commands. YUCK. Doable but not clean. Said they would be making a firmware update to "add" this like it shouldn't have been in there from the start.
- The FAULT word maintains the last fault till a new fault is detected. There is know way of clearing the last fault, of know if/when a fault goes away (like low volatge or over current) or to know if another fault of the same kind occured. Instead there are 2 32 bit words that I can pull out some status bits with similar fault status but not all of them. UGH

Many of these "lessons" were at the expense of my time. When I would finally pinpoint the issue they would then admit fault.

Couple other issues, 2nd firmware update and promise of another corrective firmware months after the machine is to ship forced me to finally throw in the towel and go with Kinetix 6000. Already using AB CompactLogix and PanelView Plus.

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up!
I was looking into these units for simple indexing applications.
I guess won't be as bad as having coordinated motion of some sorts.
But the issues you bring up about the fault bits, "homed" bits and such kind of makes me very very nervous about even giving it a shot.

James Fillmore said:
Management selected on the recommendation distributor AC Tech 940 servo drives, mainly on cost.

took me a day and a half of wasted time

Sounds more like mismanagement.
You pay for what you get!
Have management calculate the cost of your "wasted time".

Fire the manager!

Purchase what YOU need to get the job done.

;)

Switched to the Allen Bradley Kinetix 6000 and the hardware totally rocks. My boss was on my tail to get the project going ASAP since I deemed the Lenze drives totally unacceptable. It took 2 weeks to send the (3) Exlar actuators back to the manufacturer to have AB compatible encoders and connectors installed (had to switch from Lenze style resolvers which WEREN'T compatible with the AB equipment), install and rewire drives and upgrade to CompactLogix L43 processor (from L32).

I had the machine totally functional and running in just 2 days. Today is the 3rd day and the customers were in from Toronto to run off the machine first thing this AM!

Not a single issue, hiccup, or even the slightest problem. PLUS, since there is a big Rockwell headquarters close by and one of the largest AB distributors that calls on us I was given an afternoon of training with a demo case by one of the senior engineers that helped develope the system and trains thier tech support! He was available by cell phone for 2 calls where I asked about the interaction of all the saftey circuits, enable input, MSO and MSF - my only head scratching moments.

I would HIGHLY recommend the AB Kinetics equipment for EASE OF USE and intuitive programming by anyone already familiar with CompactLogix.

Last project with Lenze/AC Tech I did (8 servo drives with Exlar actuators) went terrible and support was not adequate. We had to replace all the drives. I told the project manager quit trying to cut costs when it comes to electrical stuff because its just too expensive.

Good experiences with ACTech 940 series drives

The company I work for has purchased over 60 ACTech 940 series drives, and managed to break 2 of them -- and that was due to really nasty mis-wires to the DO terminals that resulted in vastly exceeding the rated output.

The servo drive capabilities have never failed.

We have used the ACTech drives with motors from ACTech, Lenze, EXLAR, and Alpha Gear. They have all "Just Worked".

No product is perfect, but the ACTech 940 series has delivered an excellent value to us, and allowed us to deliver a market-leading product at a competitive price.