Let's design the Ideal PLC!

I just "completed" my first RSLogix 5000 project and I found that UDT are the best his since .... should I say it ... sliced bread!
I created a UDT and replicated that as many times as required. I also crated other useful UDTs that make the entire software more readable particularly since it is a combination of Structured Text and Ladder Logic.

The reason completed is in quotes is that this is the first phase of a four phase integration of a system consisting of four PC running Visual C++, one running NI software, two chassis based PLCs, and one Softlogix 5800 PLC (my part of the project).

OK here's my list, most are repeats:

Hot swappable IO/

Tags are great, but there must be a quick and useful search tool. I'd still want numbered addresses for I/O.

Fiber Optic connections between racks. Standard Network Fiber, not some *******ization. Cat 6 is a good second choice.

Com cards that can handle any of the standards out there. Anything from 232/485 to devicenet and profibus etc.

Bluetooth, USB and Ethernet without extra expense. These should be built in, not extras.

The ability to have function block, ladder, C++ or VB, and statement logic in seperate routines, all processed according to your own desires, ie Scan rates(not times) for each routine. (All in STI fassion) This puts a load on the programmer, but offers wonderful tools for high speed applications.

Additional slower memory for documentation beyond the norm. Spreadsheets, DWG files, Database, both Access and SQL.

Intergated HMI. Possibly stored in the slower memory. All in the same package. Attached to simple touchscreens through Fiber, or Cat 5/6

By all means, give people who can operate a keyboard an option. I can type much faster than I can drag and drop. AB5 and AB500 are good at this, CLX is not so smooth.

Configurable Analog I/O on the go. No dip switches inside the card.

At least one high speed counter built in.

SPEED, memory, scans, I/O, 64 bit would be nice.

Redundant where possible. USB memory stick compatible for emergencies.

Several layers of security.

CLX is close, but lacks big-time in some areas.

Wireless communications with security. Its slow, but oh so useful in a large facility. I find it very useful to take a laptop to the area of the machine I am working on (So I can watch the machine.) Think big machines. This is more of a network issue, but very useful. It would be nice if the PLC had this built in, rather than having to set up wireless inside the mill, through IT's control.

Goody said:
There should be memory that is just like PC memory. Where you can store just what you want in there. Word doc's - pdf doc's CAD drawings etc. The whole program with comments - labels and code descriptions should be in there.
Just imagine that - you come to a machine you have never seen before and the tech drawings and info are all in there inside the PLC.
With cheap memory today, it should be standard.
I have that one. It is PC, just add some I/O to Ehernet... and Windows is quite well OS.