Linking an SLC 5/04 CPU to my home network

gusterminator

Hi. I'm looking to hook my 1747-L542 SLC 5/04 CPU to my home network so I can connect using RSLinx with my lap top wirelessly.
I'm looking for some advise on the simplest way to get this done...equipment.....what will I need.

Thanks

Gus

I think the simplest and least expensive method is to use a general-purpose serial port server.

There are dozens of different models on the market, at various price points.

The simplest to set up is the Allen-Bradley 1761-NET-ENI module.

If I was equipping my home test bench, I would go find a used Lantronix unit, like a UDS1100. You don't need a lot of performance because you're dealing with a 19200 baud bottleneck on the SLC serial port side.

The serial server device works like a 'virtual COM port', allowing you to connect over TCP/IP to the device's serial port as though it was an actual COM port on your computer. You would use the "RS-232 DF1 Devices" driver in RSLinx Classic.

Thanks for the info....that's exactly what I'll do. I have another question. I have a triac which is manual control via
variable potentiometer. 1 watt control power.

I'd like to control it with my SLC analog Out card. is this possible?

Thanks again.

Gus

I have another question. I have a triac which is manual control via
variable potentiometer. 1 watt control power.

I'd like to control it with my SLC analog Out card. is this possible?

Thanks again.

Gus

Probably not directly. A triac is not really an analog device, it is switched on at a certain point in the sine wave of an AC voltage cycle. When a triac is controlled with a pot then the pot functions to feedback the line voltage through a resistor network to keep the current below the triac's gate threshold current until the sine wave voltage rises to a desired level.

Your PLC won't be anywhere near fast enough to respond to gate the triac properly.

However, there are some triac and SCR power controllers available which can take 0-10 or 4-20mA inputs and use an internal comparator to fire the gate at the desired phase angle. Depending on your budget and application you may want to take a look at either Carlo Gavazzi (low end) or Control Concepts high end), there are many others as well.

If you are skilled with op amp circuit design you can design your own comparator. I wouldn't recommend this approach for any industrial applications, but it should work well for burning down the house of the average home automation experimenter. 🍺

Attempt to setup Lantronix UDS1100 on test bench

Hello,

I am trying what Ken suggested. Hooking up Lantronix UDS1100 to test bench.

Followed Lantronix's examples (dated 2003) but no success. Contacted Lantronix support. They suggest using newer version of Com Port Redirector v4.3(used RedirectoV3.1 first). Same results.

Cabling and Comm Port setup completely tested via direct connection to Port 0 using RSLinx Classic.

Has anyone else attempted this setup. Any help sincerely appreciated.

If you would like to connect to the PLC at your work place from home, I would suggest setting up a computer/station just for that purpose. Then, remotely connect to it using Gateway. On that computer you would have RSLinx with any other programs that you need.

Thanks