Logix 500 to 5000 migration help

Shiro485

Hello,
I have a project that I had to migrate from logix 500 to 5000
it converted all registers like say N:100 to arrays such as N[100] then took each individual element and created an alias tag for them.

The problem I am running into is it seems that any of the N registers that were used in pid instructions in logic. while doing any of the math associated, something is overwriting them to 0,

say I have an instruction that has a value of 16383 it will flash between 0 and 16383, there are no instructions that are moving a 0 into any of these n addresses anywhere. It is driving me crazy!

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Many Thanks!

The conversion does not do well with PID's. I always delete them and put a B3 bit output as a marker before the conversion. Then create all new PID blocks in Logix5000. Seems to be a lot cleaner that way as well. BTW the PID tuning has to be re-done anyway. The numbers from a SLC or PLC5 wont work in a 5000.

Thank you for your reply,
But I am far too deep in this project to think about redoing the migration. Would you know of another viable option that wont be too much of a headache?

First it look like a typo N:100 is not a valid address on the Logix 500
the "N" type is an INT file the address format should be N7:100
N7:100 is File No. 7 is an INT type :100 means the there are at least 100 words in that file.
each word has 16 bits 0-15
in the Logix 5000 N[100] it is a little different it is identified a tag named N and again with at least 100 elements. the data type is described so there is no way to know the data type from the information here.
in short you are dealing with 2 different data types that need to be resolved
when you import from the 500 to the 5000 the inport will create the tag of the same data type N7:100 would import as Tag N7as an array, N7[100] would be element 100 in the array and data type as INT

I hope that helps

You don't have to re-do the migration.

You DO have to re-do the PID loops and tags.

There's no "do not function in a way I don't expect" button.