Logix program comparisons on V12 vs. V29

phuz

I'm curious how others handle this.
I upgraded a PLC in a validated environment today from a FlexLogix with F/W v12 to a new 5069 CompactLogix with F/W v29.

One of the things we have to do as part of the new validation is a regression test, which includes a copy of the compare tool's report.
Unfortunately, it doesn't seem possible to run a compare on the two programs because the v12 program is too old.

how about l5k file export and use word to do the compare/show differences

Sure I could do a manual compare, but the protocol specifically calls out use of the compare tool and it's respective report.
I suppose I could upgrade the v12 program to v16 and then run it, but technically it still "taints" the original file.

Hi word has a document compare tool built in. Export both files, imprt into 2 word doca ans run compare. The compare report is your evidence of code differences...or.not

The compare tool exports both files to L5K before it compares them.

Converting the v12 program to v29 and then comparing it to the new v29 program has some value. However, if the new v29 program was actually generated by converting the v12 program, then you really aren't checking anything. Any code mangled by the conversion is still going to check OK since both files were converted the same way.

Converting v12 and v29 to L5K and then comparing the XML text eliminates the concern that conversion to v29 mangled some code because the v16 code did not undergo a conversion to v29. This might not be that laborious since the expectation is that the code will be 95+% a match. Stuff like the header that has the version number will of course be different. Commercial file comparison software should be able to handle this so you only have to inspect the differences and determine that they are not actual code.