RSLogix Tag descriptions / Program Upload

dalporto

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi.

I came into a problem that was buried in my memory.

I had a list of modifications to do on 2 RSLogix programs. So I tapped in the IP, uploaded both programs and started doing modifications online. Just to be sure that I had the right version, backup management is kind of an issue with that customer. I haven't done a lot of Rockwell in the past 15 years.

So everything is good until I realized that all of the tag descriptions are gone on both PLC.

I Googled a little bit. Then I retrieved the latest backups I could find, placed each of them alone in a different folder and went online over them. It appears to have worked with the exception of missing descriptions on the tags I just had added, which was better than nothing.

I'm just wondering if it was my best option?

What's actually happening doing that? Is it kind of merging the tag descriptions of the "online" program using the tagname with what's contained in the .ACD backup (I think it's something like a RSS file within the .ACD)?

My biggest fear was that it could kind of "reset" the PLC doing so it could clip something in the field like during a full download. Heard nothing so far.

I'll know not to do that ever again.

I had another one in V21 (no idea why this one in V21) that I also uploaded at the same time, but the descriptions have followed, so since V21 / Logix Designer the descriptions can be uploaded?

Thanks.

Yes tag descriptions aren't saved on the processor in the earlier versions, they are saved in a separate file, and are opened and overlaid when you open that program. originally this was done do to save memory on the processors. But with time memory got better hence the reason tag descriptions are on the plc and come with the upload on the newer versions. Just be thankful you had the backups. Otherwise you have to start from scratch, generally you can get the I/O descriptions from wire terminals or drawings, worst case trace them back to their source. But some of the internal bits can be head scratchers. Also not so bad in logix5000 depending on who wrote the program and how they spelled their tag names. But logix 500 can be a real pain. I'm sure some guys on here have some logix 500 horror stories of bigger installs and no descriptions.

Thank you man.

We wrote the original program 10 years ago so I could still navigate through it with the standard tags we're using and the general scheme of control, but I'm sure the customer wouldn't have liked it at some point.

I had the same problem on a crusher in Africa 15 years ago. I uploaded a Siemens program from whatever it was. A S7? Never had the chance to work with a Siemens PLC again. It was like BI001, BI002, BI003, same for BO / AI / AO. No DWG. How the hell do you want me to do something with that? To my knowledge, it's rusting in Sahel desert.

I'm sure some guys on here have some logix 500 horror stories of bigger installs and no descriptions.

I can say that almost 1/3 of the service calls I have been called to were upload w/out descriptions, then add what you can going over the IO schematic. That was IF they had a schematic. More than once it was trace each sensor, button, light and relay back to the IO, and a few times write down the full schematic for them.
EDIT: and a couple of control panels with Vipa clones of Siemens that had not 1 wire label in it and ALL the wires were blue - AC & DC, Neutral & Common

Also just as bad can be the cryptic descriptions some recent college graduates seem to enjoy. I:1/2 = "CPE3276" and that's it. Not a Cylinder or Pressure anything, not wire 3276, not on page 3 or 32, sensor not made by CP Electric, etc. - it'll be a level sensor in tank 4

Last edited:
I can say that almost 1/3 of the service calls I have been called to were upload w/out descriptions, then add what you can going over the IO schematic. That was IF they had a schematic. More than once it was trace each sensor, button, light and relay back to the IO, and a few times write down the full schematic for them.
EDIT: and a couple of control panels with Vipa clones of Siemens that had not 1 wire label in it and ALL the wires were blue - AC & DC, Neutral & Common

Also just as bad can be the cryptic descriptions some recent college graduates seem to enjoy. I:1/2 = "CPE3276" and that's it. Not a Cylinder or Pressure anything, not wire 3276, not on page 3 or 32, sensor not made by CP Electric, etc. - it'll be a level sensor

This made me laugh....reminds me of "LS3579" limit switch 3579.... not wire or terminal 3579.... just a random number they came up with that still to this day I can't figure out...... I mean honestly what's wrong with "first_infeed_limit_switch"......or "second_infeed_limit_switch"....... I have to figure out shorter tag names half the the time because your only allowed so many characters.....