Math Expression in RSlogix 500

gatfu

I am trying to use the CPT instruction and apparently I can't quit get it right. I am trying to accomplish this equation.

(( N25:4 * 1000 ) + N25:3)DIV10

I keep popping up errors when i check the program. I have tried changing it but I know it is something simple I am missing. How should I enter it?

Your CPT instruction should look like the attached picture.

Its those little things that get ya
Yes, it is those little differences inserted by the original programmers to trip up those who did not sign up for the expensive AB training classes....

Math Expression- Gatfu.JPG

Last edited:
The use of the '/' symbol to denote the separation between a word reference and a bit reference precludes its use as an operator in the CPT command (at least that's what I've seen as an explanation.)

Bernie, that was a good excuse for poor programming, but then the question is why does it not apply to +, -, and a bunch of other symbols?

Given that the software is "clever" enough to accept ; instead of : (saves pressing the shift key), and accepts /DN instead of the more proper .DN, don't you think it should be clever enough to accept / for | when entering a CPT expression ?

Everyone has a wish-list for the "perfect" software package, and to be honest a lot of the wishes are valid. But to be fair, the Logix software packages are pretty damn good, IMHO.

Did you know that to "Start Rung Edits" (online), there are at least 4 or 5 documented ways, but the easiest, and as far as I know it is not documented anywhere, is to double-click the rung you want to edit?

Because the "/" character is part of the logical address. "+" and "-" are not.
"|" could easily have been part of the logical addresses, leaving "/" for DIV. I think it was all carefully planned for maximum marketing advantage.