Measuring amperage with a PLC

Bolt

What would it take to build some PLC logic to measure amperage of a load (3 phase, 20-30 amps under normal load), and do something with the PLC when it goes out of range?

Is there some sort of coil that I can run each leg through (seperately) and run back the PLC? Does this have an analog input source?

I second RSDoran's recomendation of CRMagnetics, but I have used the CRD4170/80 model with 3-phase input coils and 0-5vdc individual outputs which you can then scale in the PLC and do whatever else you need to do then.

Why not use a digital power monitor with Modbus RTU comms? That is my normal practice these days as I get a whol;e lot more info.

BobB said:
Why not use a digital power monitor with Modbus RTU comms? That is my normal practice these days as I get a whol;e lot more info.

What if its an AB PLC or some other device that doesnt talk Modbus?

All PLCs support 1-5v or 4-20ma whereas Modbus requires a Prosoft card or similar and a bunch of code to make it work.

I say stick with some kind of transducer that gives an analog output.

I am quite surprised if AB and others have not supported Modbus RTU at least. The most common form of comms in industrial applications? WOW!!!

It all depends on need, if just wanting know when an over current condition has occured the relay may work. If needing to monitoring the actual range of current involved then something else may be ne.

Any the suggestions it just depends on the depth of the necessary.

BobB said:
I am quite surprised if AB and others have not supported Modbus RTU at least. The most common form of comms in industrial applications? WOW!!!

Most AB platforms only support Modbus throug a third party card (prosoft). And they are a PITA to set up. AB is pushing it's own industrial networks and I would assume that is why they don't seem to be interested in Modbus.

The in rack cards from ProSoft are a PITA. However, I've found the Din rail units to be much simpler and they offer a lot more options.