Measuring liquid level in tank full of solids

It seems to me the stand pipe would be the obivous answer. It would likely be the least expensive, least troublsome to install, easiest to maintain, and the most accurate.

Thanks for the replies.

The tanks are inside a heated building.

I am leaning toward a stand-pipe/ stilling well of some sorts with a screened inlet, with possibly a water flush line to keep obstructions from the screen, or even putting a '90' inside the tank and point the inlet down to reduce the chances of material caking on the screen.

With a bubbler mounted on the top of the tank and the 'bubble pipe' extending the full height of the tank, the pressure corresponding to the level would essentially be the same as a tranmsitter mounted on the bottom of the tank? 2.31 feet per psi?

OT: How do you add the pics?

How do you add the pics if they aren't on a website. ie. How can I make a drawing in paint and post it here? :confused:

When you post a reply there is an option to display picture, click it then browse to the file and select it then click upload picture. Then copy and paste the link into the reply.

displaypics.jpg

Finally. I had some pop-up blocker problems with doing this also.

(Hope you didn't copyright that sketch Alaric)
tank.gif

I wouldn't think the stand-pipe would need to be very big. I could probably just run 1/2" tubing up the side of the tank. These tanks are metal, but have some type of epoxy inside and out, so that may be my next fight, boring through and mounting.

I forgot, the tank has a big agitator in the middle too.

tank1.gif

Looks like an interesting transmitter though, but I would be concerned that material would get stuck between the shield and the diaphragm.

There are custom fabricated bypass sight gauges that use a float in a bypass pipe to
- flip external colored flags for visual indication
- trip optional switches.
- provide an optional 4-20mA output
Made to your tank dimensions by people like
Gems Sensors, Kobold, Penberthy, K-Tek, Jerguson,
Gems_Suresite.JPG

Gems_Suresite_flags.JPG