Message 612 - PanelView 550

I dont think the front rotary is for DH485 addressing... appears to be for multidrop.

Addressing is done through the GML Commander programming from what I saw in the book.

I just found this after commenting that you should try the switch.

A dedicated serial port–which can be field-configured for RS-232,
RS-422, or Allen-Bradley DH-485 communications–is provided for the
man-machine interface (MMI). Connection of the MMI device is via
an AT-compatible DB-9 connector (RS-232 or RS-422) or RJ-45
connector (DH-485), both located on the front panel. If DH-485 is not
used, a multi-unit addressing scheme (Multidrop) allows up to eight
IMC-S/23x motion controllers to share a single RS-422 communication
channel in sophisticated multi-axis systems. The address of each unit
is set by a recessed front panel rotary switch.

gml.PNG

Last edited:
We are definitely going back to the past on this system. I think GML Commander was the only A-B software I ever saw with a Macintosh version. And the FLEX I/O you see in the panel had a special connector that allowed it to be the expansion I/O for an IMC-S.

I agree that the PanelView is treating the IMC-S motion controller as though it was an SLC-500 controller, using DH-485 networking. The IMC-S controllers had a fairly simple and robust connection to SLC-500 controllers by emulating SLC-style data table file addresses.

The System LED and the three smaller LEDs probably just show that the controller has passed its power-up self testing. From the user manual:

If the IMC-S/23x passes its power-up diagnostics, all three status LEDs are turned off and the CPU watchdog LED (System OK) is turned on. At this point, the three status LEDs may be used by the application program for any desired purpose.

It is likely that the user program in the IMC-S was lost when the system was powered down for an extended period of time.

The IMC-S had a battery-backed nonvolatile RAM that I think didn't even use a removable battery. It was advertised as good for 10 years of storage, but this terminal might be 20+ years old.

Is there a battery in the IMC? I can try to see if there is voltage while I find a cable to connect directly to the imc.

Do you think that with the SLC 1747-UIC, I can use it to connect directly?

If not, what cable do you need?

Thank you for your help despite the discussion we all have together I learn more, Thank you :)

Is there a battery in the IMC? I can try to see if there is voltage while I find a cable to connect directly to the imc.

Do you think that with the SLC 1747-UIC, I can use it to connect directly?

If not, what cable do you need?

Thank you for your help despite the discussion we all have together I learn more, Thank you :)

the 1747-uic is used to communicate with a device over dh485, but I believe the dh485 on the rj45 being used on yours is only good for Panelview and operator interface as it was set up.

the manual will tell you all kinds of information on this.

you can connect to the drive using serial port A and a 9 pin serial cable. so if your laptop has a physical DB9 port, then you're good, otherwise you'll need something like a Tripp-lite USA-19HS serial converter to communicate through a USB to serial connection.

Serial communication with the IMC-S/23x is via either an RS-232C or
RS-422 serial link to one of two ports. If configured for RS-232C,
operation up to 19.2K baud is possible, while ports configured for
RS-422 can operate at up to 128K baud. A PC/AT-compatible 9-pin
D-type connector is provided for each serial port on the front panel. In
general, the GML software development system for application
programming is connected to serial port A while a serial operator
interface device or runtime display is connected to serial port B.

There will be some dip switches on an internal board to determine if serial port A is rs232 or rs422 though also.

But remember, you won't be able to do anything while physically connected to it unless you have the software "GML Commander".

You should spend some time with the manual as all of your questions are right in there (I'm pretty much just scanning it to get the answers here anyway, I've never directly worked with an IMC unit and GML commander either). I posted a link earlier in the thread.

Thanks for the pdf.
I just translated it with google and I will try to read it again to understand better.

It's not easy for me since I'm discovering the world of this kind of computing. And I'm the only one who can take care of it.

I will already try to equip myself to read the information via a computer knowing that I really have nothing to read.

I'm going to see to place an order on the internet for a cable for the IMC by the way and start setting up a computer or making a virtual computer for it to be simpler.

Then after check if there is a program in the imc and also check the communication of the panelview with the rest of the computer.

Excuse me if English is bad.

I will share here my research and my ideas here for my problem, if you wish.

Thanks for the pdf.
I just translated it with google and I will try to read it again to understand better.

It's not easy for me since I'm discovering the world of this kind of computing. And I'm the only one who can take care of it.

I will already try to equip myself to read the information via a computer knowing that I really have nothing to read.

I'm going to see to place an order on the internet for a cable for the IMC by the way and start setting up a computer or making a virtual computer for it to be simpler.

Then after check if there is a program in the imc and also check the communication of the panelview with the rest of the computer.

Excuse me if English is bad.

I will share here my research and my ideas here for my problem, if you wish.

Your English is good, easy to understand so no worries there. Unfortunately I couldn't find the 4100-999-122 manual in French, only in English, even on the French rockwell site.

Like said before, be sure you have the GML commander software, and there is an Upload Inhibit someone could check to keep someone from getting access to the program even if it's still on there. so you may want to put an email out to the original manufacturer of the machine and see if they have a backup file for the IMC drive while you wait.

Hi, I received my 1747-uic.
I tried today to see if I can do anything with it.

I connected to the pv 550 with the box but I did not manage a single connection. I share captures to try to show you a little.

And when I connect my box I have the error 613 and if I disconnect it 612.

316073656_543309990499239_6316430030480383411_n.jpg

316043469_857598015592502_9095565309248439353_n.jpg

316052153_869731877529362_8712081917165496390_n.jpg

316094263_568511371947642_332949914683414431_n.jpg

Are you sure that the new UIC adapter is COM4? In your picture, COM5 shows as a "CH340" which I think is the right one. I don't use my UIC adapter very often, so I am not 100% certain.

Yes I'm sure, the com5 is another cable that I haven't used at the moment.

I will try another configuration that I saw on youtube to try to connect to the panelview 550

The first driver settings were wrong, as you found out. you could have used the DH485 UIC device driver instead of the DF1 and that would have worked to see any device on that particular network.

I think you may have missed a detail mentioned earlier, the thing you are calling the SLC500 is NOT a PLC or SLC500. all it does it allow you to isolate the communications and link devices together on a DH485 network basically. It contains no logic and doesn't control anything or have any settings to change.

all of the logic is going to be in the IMC.

Ok. If I understand correctly, it is normal to see this situation that I was able to discover on the software and which seems to me to be correct so far.
So I will have to look into the imc.

And again I don't know how I'm going to have to look at this box.
Surely on youtube I will find or other.

Tomorrow I will receive a Tripp Lite USA-19HS-C USB-C cable, I think I will be able to do something with it on the imc