micro 810 set/reset function

jgrant

I'm pretty new to PLC's so this is a pretty simple question. I have a micro 810 and I'm trying to get the set and reset function to work. I have a NO contact going to the set coil and a NO contact going to the reset coil. Both set and reset coils have the same ID or name. When I debug the contacts turn green showing power to the coils but they won't latch on. I watched a youtube video and it seems like I'm doing everything right.

Is the PLC in run mode?

Is the address you're setting / resetting used somewhere else?

The manual says the associated variable must be an output or user defined.

Last edited:
Yes, it's in run mode. I can see the contacts change state, but the set or reset coils don't change. I am trying it in a simple program with two inputs (NO contacts) and 1 output SETS/Reset coils. They both (set and reset coils) both have the same address.

The NO contacts are not the same contacts are they? If so, you could be turning the coil on and off immediately.

Also- do you have a JSR instruction to get to the routine that has this programming in it?

No, the contacts are different. I is input 0 and the other is input 1. I'm novice enough to not know what JSR is-- jump instruction maybe? I tried using it in a basic program controlling a couple conveyors and couldn't get it to work so I wrote a simple program with only 2 NO contacts and a set coil and a reset coil just to see if I could get it to work and it doesn't. I'm sure it's something pretty simple, but I can't figure it out.

Sorry- should have noticed that this was a Micro 810 and Connected Components project. I guess the simple questions would be- are you sure your inputs are coming on and that they are not on at the same time which would set and reset instantaneously?

Yea, that is what baffles me. It's such a simple program. I can see the one contact change to green telling me it on and the other one stays off, but the set coil or reset coils won't turn on.

Yes it's in remote run mode. CCW prompts me to switch back to run after downloading and I can tell because the contacts change color signifying they are energizing. One thing that I'm wondering about is that in the youtube videos I have watched, they were able to click on a device to energize it. When I click on a component the Variable Monitoring box opens and I have to check the logical value box to energize my contacts.

I'm trying to post a pic of my computer screen so maybe there is something noticeable. I don't know if it uploaded or not

20150327_100847.jpg

Have you tried with an internal coil instead of a real world output coil? Not familiar with 810 but there should be some bit internal available for your testing.

You may want to try the input to an internal coil as danatomega stated and you could even try the set coil output with a direct line to energize it and see if the logic is actually running.

Also from your picture, is the input actually on or just highlighted? I can get my input to go highlight green offline just like your picture.

Being unfamiliar with CCW and the 810 I may be asking questions you already know. I've only used CCW to program safety relays and look at drives so far.

No, the contact is not turned on in the picture, is only highlighted. It will turn red when on and that is working fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the set and reset functions were internal bits like a "B" bit in the SLC 500. That is what I'm trying to do, is turn the program on and off without using an external coil. Is there a better way to do this?

No, the contact is not turned on in the picture, is only highlighted. It will turn red when on and that is working fine. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought the set and reset functions were internal bits like a "B" bit in the SLC 500. That is what I'm trying to do, is turn the program on and off without using an external coil. Is there a better way to do this?

OK- Just checking. The Set and Reset can be internal memory bits or they can be addressed to an actual output such as you show ( IO_E_DO_00).

Not exactly sure what you mean by turning the program on and off with an external coil?