Micro Logix change to Compact Logix. G3 Changes?

Bullzi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,
I have started a project with programming a Red Lion G3 that will be connected to a MicroLogix 1200 via a ENI-NET. Because of expansion limits of the 1200 we are going to change the PLC to a 1796-L30-ER.

Since I have never worked with the Compact Logix before I have a few questions:
  1. What Ethernet driver do I use? I used DF1 via PCCC/IP on the 1200.
  2. Will I have to make my tags in the HMI Database match the tags in the PLC?
  3. Are there any other changes I need to make to the HMI program to make it work with the new PLC?
Thanks for any help you can provide.
Chris

Hi all,
I have started a project with programming a Red Lion G3 that will be connected to a MicroLogix 1200 via a ENI-NET. Because of expansion limits of the 1200 we are going to change the PLC to a 1796-L30-ER.

Since I have never worked with the Compact Logix before I have a few questions:
1. What Ethernet driver do I use? I used DF1 via PCCC/IP on the 1200.
Most likely, you will choose the "Allen-Bradley Native Tags via L5K file" driver. Then you can get all the PLC tags into your crimson project by simply doing a save as L5K type in RSLogix5000, and then import that file in Crimson on the Communications page.

Bullzi said:
2. Will I have to make my tags in the HMI Database match the tags in the PLC?
No, they are independent things. A G3 tag can certainly have its data derived from a tag imported from your L5K file, but they don't have to be named the same. Or, like direct references in FTView, you could just populate objects with the L5K tags directly.

Bullzi said:
3. Are there any other changes I need to make to the HMI program to make it work with the new PLC?
Just the drivers and communications settings as far as I know. You'll want to read up on the L5k export/import process and that's it unless I am forgetting something.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Okie!!
I have finally found the time to mess with this. I have a few questions that hopefully you can help me with:
1) Is there a faster was to import the tags than to go to "Manage Tags" and add them one at a time? Can I just import them all at once?
2) Under the "Target Device" on the communications, there is a TCP port shown as 44818. Is that a default port? Will that work for my L33?

Thanks for the help!!
Chris