Micrologix 1400 MSG File Error 10H

Thor Hammer

I am reading and writing between two ML1400 PLC's. Previous versions worked just fine. Now all of a sudden I am getting an ERR message for only a few of the MSG files but not all?

Hmm, last time I downloaded the program to PLC ONE last week remotely I got a popup message before download occurred saying something about Channel 1 being different or something along those lines. I proceeded anyways. Not sure if that was the issue. I thought it was because a fellow programmer got a hold of the program and logged on remotely himself, then sent the code back to me. Could he have changed something in the communications to cause this problem?

I have looked over all previous versions of this program for PLC ONE (REV14A) and PLC TWO and nothing has changed. Channel 1 config is the same as before. Not sure what is going on and desperately need assistance on this one.

That warning you mentioned happens when the comms configuration in the project you're downloading doesn't match the configuration that's in the controller. There may not have been a difference in your records, but when you download there is an option not to change the comms settings. So it's possible the comms settings in the project were wrong all along.

Do the MSG statements that work go through channel 1? If some do and some don't, then the comms settings aren't the problem.

Here is what the knowledgebase has to say:

Problem
Getting an error code 10h in the MSG instruction:

Target node cannot respond because of incorrect command parameters or unsupported command, or the data file specified does not exist.

Solution
Verify the Target Device Data Table Address exists in the other controller. If it does exist, make sure there are enough words created in the data file to support the number of elements specified in the MSG instruction.

I feel like an idiot for not researching what would happen before downloading when it asked about the comms config. I was in a hurry.

Yes, some of the MSG statements go through without errors. Setup on a 50ms trigger and no Errors. The others do not.

I will check again the Target Device Data Table Addresses.

It all worked fine a week ago and had been working for several months.

Thank you for the input.

Found out PLC ONE program was in both controllers. Somehow, at some point plc two got plc one program. This would explain the warning message about incorrect channel configuration.

the system is on a verizon wireless cradle point modem/router. Port forwarding is on a static public ip to the controller address via port 44818. I am told that I can port forward to only one controller at a time as AB only recoginizes the aforementioned port number. Therefore, to communicate and download a program remotely I have to go into the firewall settings and change the ip address to the 1400 i want to talk to.

I am confused how plc two got the program from plc one into it. they have seperate ip addresses. until today, port forwarding was to plc one only.

I now have to have the client set the ip address from the lcd screen on each controller to the correct one and download the programs locally to ensure accuracy.

For future updates/ monitoring what is the best way to ensure this does not happen again? What is the risk of downloading over ethernet from outside the local network?

i am happy to report all issues have been resolved. Both IPs are now correct and the programs are communicating properly. This was all due to the incorrect program being installed into PLC two.

On the plus side I have learned alot from this occurrence.