Micrologox 1000 controls a ball screw

DSchofield

Hi,
I GREATLY appreciate any help you can give me. I am trying to get my Micrologix 1000 to control ball screw? Does the Micrologix 1000 need to communicate with an encoder? How do I do that and then what?
Thanks
-Doug

Welcome to the Forum !

In general, closed-loop position control does require an encoder to tell the controller at least the position of the mechanism.

The MicroLogix 1000 does have a high-speed encoder input channel, but it's not really meant to be a motion controller.

Explain what sort of control you need to do with the ballscrew. What kind of motor is driving it ? Are you doing a point-to-point motion ? How accurate does the position control need to be ?

Hi, Thanks for getting back to me. I have not purchased a motor or a controller yet. I am hoping you can make a recommendation. The ball screw will advance a few inches and stop. Then advance a few more inches and stop and then return to its starting position. It does not have to be very accurate. Maybe +/- .001 of an inch.