Missing IP address for Siemen's G120X

reider

Has anyone ever got this message before? The drive will be running fine and for a couple days or a week then the control room will get the message that it lost its IP address. Checked the ethernet cable, seems good. Could it be the Control module?

This drive is the last drive in the "Daisy chain" network. What I don't like is that there is not a cable that goes back to the switch to make it a ring network.
Any thoughts?

Hi. I would advice that you get the Siemens "PRONETA" or the Profinet Commander and do a network browse. Both applications support in their evaluation (that is free of charge) mode DCP (discovery and configuration protocol) client functionality, including the "DCP identify all" which builds a lost of detected devices with their device names, MAC addresses, IP addresses, vendor ID, etc.
The only way I can think of the cause for the problem you mention is, assuming the machine was working properly, that for some reason this device you mentioned was subject to a "factory reset" process. Not sure how this can happen other than using a tool such as TIA Portal, PRONETA or Profinet Commander. It clould be that the device has a "non-Profinet" way of performing a factory reset (web server, holding a push button for a number of seconds).

Just to make sure, can you please define the statement "the control room will get the message that it lost its IP address". Is this a message in some SCADA system? It does not sound too specific, and seems to have been put there by the developer of the machine's SCADA or operator interface. When this happens, what do the operators do to reestablish the system back into normal operation?

Is the drive controlled via Profinet, Ethernet I/O, Modbus TCP, or .. ?
If Profinet, the Profinet IO Controller must provide some diagnostics that may help pinpointing the issue.

Yes, Scada. They would get the message on their screen. Sorry about that. The only way to reset would be for me to pull the 24V on the Control unit on the drive. The "BF" indicator on the control unit would blink red. And I cannot reset with the HIM.

Yes, we use Profinet. I'm used to all Allen Bradley Drives myself. Just getting slowly accustomed to the Siemans world

If you remove and reinsert the Profinet cable, does the BF go away ?

Cycling power on the control unit to reset the error could point to that the control unit is defective.
If you replace the control unit, you should copy the parameters from the existing control unit. If the control unit is with an SD card slot, you can copy it via an SD card.

That's what i'm going to do at some point is replace the control unit. It could be that for sure. Removing and inserting the cable didn't fix the issue.