ML1400 ethernet connectivity issues

JordanSS

I am having trouble where upon power up the ML1400 fails to communicate to any other network devices. If the ethernet cable is removed and re-inserted it seems to work fine, but will fail to communicate on the next power cycle.

It doesnt happen all the time, but whenever it does happen, it seems to be on the ML1400 side of things.

1766-L32BXBA
Series B
Firmware 14.0

Has anyone else encountered this?
Thanks in advance

maybe you have a repeated IP on your subnet. I think on ML1400 the IP can be changed using the keys and the built-in display.

Screen_Shot_2018_05_01_at_11_08_05_AM.png

I cannot connect via 232 since I am not on site, but here is the info I get when connecting remotely.

We use a Planet Wireless WNRT-617G router as the switch. There aren't any repeated IPs as there is just the touchscreen and PLC on the network (sometimes my computer too)

I would definitely NOT trust that router for Ethernet Messaging between devices. If its for programming or just to access the built-in web server, that's something else.

I would definitely NOT trust that router for Ethernet Messaging between devices. If its for programming or just to access the built-in web server, that's something else.

Is there more information as to why? Not my area of expertise, so just curious...

We have also used the Cradlepoint MBR1200b and had similar issues, which is why I thought it would be more of a PLC issue then router issue

I doubt that the wireless router has been properly tested to handle Common Industrial Protocol (CIP). I can't find any mention of it doing a google search. And for good reason, its a $40 commercial grade wireless router. Not intended for industrial use (constant stream of data, no packet dropping), made for small office or home use.

Last edited:
I doubt that the wireless router has been properly tested to handle Common Industrial Protocol (CIP). I can't find any mention of it doing a google search. And for good reason, its a $40 commercial grade wireless router. Not intended for industrial use, made for small office or home use.

Would this be a cause of the issue? Or just another issue all together?

Like I said, we've used other more expensive units and had similar issues

Would this be a cause of the issue? Or just another issue all together?

Like I said, we've used other more expensive units and had similar issues

Are these being used to connect other devices to the ML1400? Like servo controllers or VFDs? If yes, than I would be suspect.

Cost is not an indicator of equipment properly chosen for the task at hand. Were the expensive units CIP/Field-bus capable or at least tested to be so, by ODVA or Rockwell?

Lots of weird scenarios can come up with ill-matched communication equipment.

upon power up the ML1400 fails to communicate to any other network devices.

When you do this, is it just the ML1400 that is being powered up or the entire system? If you are powering up the whole system or at least the router and the the ML1400 the ML1400 might be completing its boot process before the router is and the router may not know the ML1400 is connected to it and not allowing it to pass any data. When you disconnect then reconnect the Ethernet cable the ML1400 reacts and basically tells the router that it is connected to it and the router then lets it pass data.

When you do this, is it just the ML1400 that is being powered up or the entire system? If you are powering up the whole system or at least the router and the the ML1400 the ML1400 might be completing its boot process before the router is and the router may not know the ML1400 is connected to it and not allowing it to pass any data. When you disconnect then reconnect the Ethernet cable the ML1400 reacts and basically tells the router that it is connected to it and the router then lets it pass data.

It is powering the entire system at once. The system runs on generator, and usually (but not always) gets powered down at night. Is there a workaround for this that you know of? Besides putting a time delay relay on powering up the PLC?

Intermittent problems are the most fun to troubleshoot !

I think that the observation you need next is the link status lights on your router, to see if an Ethernet link is being established or not.

I read a Knowledgebase document with a similar set of facts; a managed switch that takes about 90 seconds to power up fully, so the MicroLogix 1400 was already trying to Autonegotiate a link (speed and duplex) when the switch booted. The solution in that case was to set both the MicroLogix and the switch for 100/Full and disable Auto-negotiate.

Whenever you disable auto-negotiate, always do it on both sides of the connection. Doing it on one side only can lead to a "fallback to half duplex" for one side only and that leads to all kinds of collisions and errors.

Intermittent problems are the most fun to troubleshoot !

I think that the observation you need next is the link status lights on your router, to see if an Ethernet link is being established or not.

I read a Knowledgebase document with a similar set of facts; a managed switch that takes about 90 seconds to power up fully, so the MicroLogix 1400 was already trying to Autonegotiate a link (speed and duplex) when the switch booted. The solution in that case was to set both the MicroLogix and the switch for 100/Full and disable Auto-negotiate.

Whenever you disable auto-negotiate, always do it on both sides of the connection. Doing it on one side only can lead to a "fallback to half duplex" for one side only and that leads to all kinds of collisions and errors.

Hi Ken, I think this sounds like it could be the issue. I have found the settings for 100/full and auto-negotiate on the PLC, but when you talk about doing it on both sides do you mean the router or HMI?

Thanks!