ML1400 PTO attributes

lostcontrol

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi,
Following on from previous post, I am setting up a ML1400 with Pulse Outputs.
Found a headache in development, that if a rung as a PTOX reference, it cannot be edited whilst online. I know, this is not that much of a problem, but during development it is :p

Anyway, I am now setting up the PTOX function files to be mapped to DataFiles, but cannot seem to set the state of PTOX:0/ADI with an OTE, yet the manual says it is Read/Write from User Program Access..?
This particular application, we may want to change the Acc/Dec profiles depending on the move types.

Any ideas chaps?

You cannot change the ADI bit while online.

From the Micrologix 1400 instruction set manual:
The choice of selecting a common profile or separate profiles must be made at the time of programming. This cannot be changed once the program is downloaded into the controller. The selection of the ramp type must be made prior to going to run. The acceleration and deceleration counts must be entered before the PTOX is enabled. If the four long elements are not properly identified, the controller will return a -3 error in the PTOX function file when going to run.

Last edited:
You cannot change the ADI bit while online.
I am not trying to change it online, rather set it up so that it can be written to dependant on whether I want equal Acc/Dec or not, as well as making it a standard setup for these machines.

The choice of selecting a common profile or separate profiles must be made at the time of programming. This cannot be changed once the program is downloaded into the controller. The selection of the ramp type must be made prior to going to run. The acceleration and deceleration counts must be entered before the PTOX is enabled. If the four long elements are not properly identified, the controller will return a -3 error in the PTOX function file when going to run.
This does not say anything about the .ADI bit?

The manual I have is 1766-RN001C
Sub-ElementDescription AddressDataFormat RangeType UserProgramAccess
TOP - Total Output Pulses To PTOX:0.TOP long word (32-bit INT) control read/write
Be Generated 0…2,147,483,647
So this says it is Read/Write from user program...

I know the way I can solve this is by just setting this through the Function File, and providing it always gets set with the program it should be ok if someone else sets it up..
I can also just programatically set the values to be the same if I want them to be...

Just perplexed why I could not do it with an OTE...

The blurb I quoted was from the explanation of the ADI bit in the instruction set manual, pages 125-26:
http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/rm/1766-rm001_-en-p.pdf

When the manual says the bit is "read/write", it means the bit can be controlled by the programmer but not necessarily from within the ladder logic. The ADI bit must be set manually in the function file. That's the only way.

Most of the other parameters, such as total pulses, frequency, and accel/decel pulses, can be changed by the ladder logic during runtime.

When the manual says the bit is "read/write", it means the bit can be controlled by the programmer but not necessarily from within the ladder logic. The ADI bit must be set manually in the function file. That's the only way.
Ok, so it was interpretation by me that was incorrect.
Thats all good, makes sense to have it just always set & alter the data file values as required.
Thanks for your help