MLX1400 to be replaced with ??

Dr Doug

I have an OEM customer that has been building a small machine using a MicroLogix 1100 which is now discontinued. I have recommended that they use a 1400 for now but they are concerned that the 1400 may not have long until it too is discontinued. And current lead times on 1400 deliveries are pretty poor right now. What would forum members recommend as a replacement?

The original program requirements are light on I/O but heavy on Data collection, Part (recipe) setup data and on screen reporting of production data.

I used indirect addressing quite a bit so that is one feature that is a must for any replacement PLC.

I am not a fan of the Micro800 family so that one is out and CompactLogix is too costly. S7-1200 might be considered with its Data Blocks. I might consider Omron's NX1P2 but can't find details in its massive instruction set that indirect addressing is included or not. Can anyone answer that?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Doug Pagett

Hi Dr Doug,
Is indirect addressing necessary or is it just being used as a shortcut for programming?
It is very taxing on scan times. There are affordable compactlogix options on the 2nd hand market, but i admit I don't know your price range.
Do you not consider the M800 because -you- are not a fan, rather than the customer? Will it work for their application? Why do you dislike it?

I stay away from Micro800, when I have a choice.

My current "go to" for that size range is the Automation Direct Click series. I've been pleasantly surprised how easy some simple applications were to program. They are cheap and should be around for years to come. They have an indirect addressing capability that they call "pointer addressing". I can't speak for recipe management or data handling.

We also stay away from Micro 800. 1769 L18 or L24. Is generally our choice to replace a Micrologix controller anymore.

I like the DO-More H2-DM1E in a DL205 chassis. From automation direct. We have both AB and automation direct were I work. We have about the same service life from both platforms.

Most PLC's now have indirect addressing, My choice would be Mitsubishi or Siemens, using the later IDE's indirect addressing is pretty simple.

The S7-1200 is pretty good bang tbh
For the omron NX1P2, sysmac is another learning curve compared to the ML
Both superior to the micro series IMHO.

For the indirect in the NX, is the same as most tag based IDE’s, so all depends on your technique & requirements.

As you are used to the ML series, you will find the Structured tag type very different as you shouldn’t need to calculate pointers the same as you would be utilising structures & UDT’s etc

Certainly can do indirect addressing in the NX1P2
I've only done a few projects with an S7-1200 and quite a few Sysmac NX1P2 so am mostly likely biased. I also have several applications on Micrologix 1400 which I intend to migrate to NX1P2 in the future.

I have an OEM customer that has been building a small machine using a MicroLogix 1100 which is now discontinued.

Are they building from the spare parts cupboard? Surely that controller is 25+ years old now.

I'm voting S7-1200. 1214 if you can get it as that's the cheapest model with the full 8 module IO capability.

They're not expensive and you can program with the basic TIA licence.