MLX1400 to be replaced with ??

CLICK or Productivity all the way, every time.

I have been using Clicks for like 10 years now. They are awesome for their price.

Or Wago PFC 100

EDIT: Clicks don't have indirect addressing I don't think.... So if you need indirect addressing, Go with Productivity. If you want the full power of modern Object Oriented Industrial Programing Go with the Wago.

I have migrated all of our standard machines products that used the ML1100 and ML1400 to Wago PFC100

Last edited:
The CompactLogix L3XX series is pretty compact. I've been replacing 1000's with those lately. Just adds more depth than the 1100.

My vote is for a CPL 5069-L306ER, but that's what I would do, and I would talk the customer into it.

The OP never did say what the HMI is?

I have been using Clicks for like 10 years now. They are awesome for their price.

Or Wago PFC 100

EDIT: Clicks don't have indirect addressing I don't think.... So if you need indirect addressing, Go with Productivity. If you want the full power of modern Object Oriented Industrial Programing Go with the Wago.

I have migrated all of our standard machines products that used the ML1100 and ML1400 to Wago PFC100

Click can do indirect addressing, but only with the Copy command so it is limited in that way.

Mike

The Micro800’s aren’t the big bad scary devices they were 5/10 years ago. The cost is certainly very competitive and CCW can be setup to use a “Logix” theme so that all of the instructions are Logix based. There is still a learning curve, but it’s not nearly as steep as it used to be.

The Micro800’s aren’t the big bad scary devices they were 5/10 years ago. The cost is certainly very competitive and CCW can be setup to use a “Logix” theme so that all of the instructions are Logix based. There is still a learning curve, but it’s not nearly as steep as it used to be.

It's not a learning curve... It's literally just bad software and hardware.

Multiple 820's bricked with nothing more than a download that failed.
Slow to start
Slow to operate
No status of bits in ST unless looking in a variable viewer.
Crashes frequently
Takes 3-4 minutes to cross reference in any program larger than a single window.

I haven't had any good experience with them yet.

Or Wago PFC 100

Have you had any failures with Click hardware? Installed any in outdoor enclosures? The temperature range isn't stellar (derates on some i/o cards when all inputs are used), and I read in one forum post some mention of AC inputs getting damaged when monitoring anything inductive, like the 'hot' side of a motor starter coil.

That being said, I have one I'm testing in a climate controlled environment hooked to dry contact AC inputs and some outputs wired to pilot lights with no issues.

Have you had any failures with Click hardware? Installed any in outdoor enclosures? The temperature range isn't stellar (derates on some i/o cards when all inputs are used), and I read in one forum post some mention of AC inputs getting damaged when monitoring anything inductive, like the 'hot' side of a motor starter coil.

That being said, I have one I'm testing in a climate controlled environment hooked to dry contact AC inputs and some outputs wired to pilot lights with no issues.

I had some clicks on a project get damaged from voltage spike doing that exact thing. pulling an input from a wire that feeds a coil for the purposes of a cheap feedback. After putting in transorbs to absorb the transients, the problem was taken care of. Of course the best thing to do with anything like this is to just use an auxilliary contactor when available to give input status from an active coil, and not pull from the coil side. But this was a special case I had worked with.

I've worked with all the A/D offerings and I will never again use the PSuite stuff. Poor reliability and some things about the software are intolerable.

The Clicks have been quite solid. Not quite as rugged as the ML1400, but close. The Click Plus has some cool features like storing the project file with comments and data views in the PLC. I don't love the way it handles message instructions (SEND, RECEIVE) because the message will fire repeatedly as long as the rung in conditions are true and may not fire at all (or might) if the rung in conditions are a oneshot.

The fact you cannot see data tag values while offline is the only other annoyance I can think of.

I have dozens of Clicks doing some relatively complex things in some nasty environments and the only failures I have seen are the types of incidents that tend to blow up any hardware.

The Do-More BRX is not very solid but the software is okay. The DL205 form factor version is better than the BRX, and the software is powerful but weird coming from an A/B background.

I recently upgraded a SLC to a 5069-L306ER and loved everything about it except the hardware cost and (at that time last summer) waiting for long lead times of certain cards. That SLC was doing DF1 radio messaging on its serial port and the 5069-SERIAL with latest firmware did a fine job of replacing it.

I recently had my first (and hopefully last) experience with the Micro8x0 series. I would never recommend it.

If the Click Plus would support DF1 Radio Modem protocol and fix their message instructions to always operate one time per false to true rung transition, they would be nearly perfect replacements for every 1400 we have ever used.

I've worked with all the A/D offerings and I will never again use the PSuite stuff. Poor reliability and some things about the software are intolerable.

The Clicks have been quite solid. Not quite as rugged as the ML1400, but close. The Click Plus has some cool features like storing the project file with comments and data views in the PLC. I don't love the way it handles message instructions (SEND, RECEIVE) because the message will fire repeatedly as long as the rung in conditions are true and may not fire at all (or might) if the rung in conditions are a oneshot.

The fact you cannot see data tag values while offline is the only other annoyance I can think of.

I have dozens of Clicks doing some relatively complex things in some nasty environments and the only failures I have seen are the types of incidents that tend to blow up any hardware.

The Do-More BRX is not very solid but the software is okay. The DL205 form factor version is better than the BRX, and the software is powerful but weird coming from an A/B background.

I recently upgraded a SLC to a 5069-L306ER and loved everything about it except the hardware cost and (at that time last summer) waiting for long lead times of certain cards. That SLC was doing DF1 radio messaging on its serial port and the 5069-SERIAL with latest firmware did a fine job of replacing it.

I recently had my first (and hopefully last) experience with the Micro8x0 series. I would never recommend it.

If the Click Plus would support DF1 Radio Modem protocol and fix their message instructions to always operate one time per false to true rung transition, they would be nearly perfect replacements for every 1400 we have ever used.

Have you found any non-AB controller that supports PCCC protocol (understands data table values like N7:0 and will respond to Messages asking for this data)?

The Micro800 doesn’t really support it. Some crappy AOI workarounds but no true solution. Seems like a gaping hole on Rockwells part.

Yes, but no major plc makers do it that i know of. The Scadametrics Eth100 flowmeter interface supports df1 as does some models of the Datalinc radios. There's another I can't remember remember right now.

Have you found any non-AB controller that supports PCCC protocol (understands data table values like N7:0 and will respond to Messages asking for this data)?

The Micro800 doesn’t really support it. Some crappy AOI workarounds but no true solution. Seems like a gaping hole on Rockwells part.

Maybe this just requires someone to do some groundwork for porting old to new, take a look at this.

https://cs.uno.edu/~irfan/publications/dfrws-2017.pdf

Maybe this just requires someone to do some groundwork for porting old to new, take a look at this.

https://cs.uno.edu/~irfan/publications/dfrws-2017.pdf

I am pretty sure that most of the functionality of DF! is published and numerous HMI and SCADA software vendors support it. Adding it to a PLC should not be terribly hard. I suspect there is hesitation to do it for a couple of reasons, one of which might be drawing the ire of the big gorilla in the room. Another reason might be to try to drive people to move completely away from A/B products, but if an integrator could migrate a system one PLC at a time without having to switch to Modbus or some other common protocol, I think that could generate more sales that telling people it's all or nothing, or major reworking of existing controller logic.

There are hundreds of thousands of SLC and Microlgix PLCs out there in applications where they communicate with other similar PLCs via radio modems or hardwired connections. If A/D or some other big name were to make a product that would "plug and play" with them, in my opinion, would be a smart move.