Modern Day Price Check

It would be a bit bittersweet for offshore workers... less pay as it's no more dangerous than working in some plant somewhere, but get to see the family daily.

I think being on a platform with only water surrounding you and pumping flammable oil mixed with explosive gasses wouldn't be any safer whether there was a transporter or the victims had to wait for a helicopter or run for lifeboats.

Obviously not going to be my career choice.....

Maybe it's off on a tangent of the thread, but wouldn't it be nice if Star Trek transporters were in use?
As I see it, if such a 'transporter' was actually possible, i.e. disintegrating all the molecules in your body and then reassemble similar molecules 1-to-1 in another location, that would be like the transporter kills you, and a copy of you is born in the other location, with the copy having all your memories and thinking he is you. But he wouldnt be you; you'd be daid.

As I see it, if such a 'transporter' was actually possible, i.e. disintegrating all the molecules in your body and then reassemble similar molecules 1-to-1 in another location, that would be like the transporter kills you, and a copy of you is born in the other location, with the copy having all your memories and thinking he is you. But he wouldnt be you; you'd be daid.

Actually it was figured out the a "transporter" would simply identify all the components that make you up, send the info to the receiving station and it would make a copy of you there. Then the departure station would disintegrate the original.

Yep -DEAD!

EDIT: plus I think The Outer Limits did a episode where the transporter to another planet was on a space station and when it received verification the copy was made the operator was to kill the original, but this one it didn't get the verification for a while until the operator and the transferee made a relationship, then he had to kill her. Then when 'she' returned they had problems with the now third version of her. Plus, for legal and purposes of religion would a copy even be alive or responsible for what the original did? Talk about a can of worms.

Last edited:
I do not think I can provide any input with the abrupt change in direction this thread has taken.

It might help to think of that aspect as if the subject of this thread itself went through the Star Trek transporter :geek: