More Ignition Edge feedback, please.

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
Looks like I'll get a nice Winter machine programming project for one of my customers. I'm seriously looking at learning Ignition Edge for the project, versus using Rockwell or Red Lion, which I already know. I don't know enough about the advantages / disadvantages of Ignition Edge to discuss with my customer. I just see this as something I should learn, and this will be a good opportunity. And I don't see much negativity posted about Ignition, so I don't worry about it being a bad choice. I just don't know *why* they would think it's a good choice. Can you help me out with your feedback, both positive and negative?

The only disadvantage is the one-week history, and the 2 device limit, but for the price you pay, it's still worth it. It can scale up easily, either you can take your project and turn into full-fledged Ignition, or connect your Edge instance to a full-fledged gateway if the project grows.

What about HMI hardware choices? Reliability? Longevity? 10 years from now... replacements? When I'm wearing my 'tech' hat, I'm constantly battling obsolescence. Any thoughts?

I see you on the IA forums too. You will notice posts there on V7.7. That's over 10 years old now, and some people still have it alive and kicking.

I lean towards OnLogic fanless NUCs to run Edge. Once your project is complete, get a GWBK (GateWay BackUp) and turn on the auto-GWBK feature, to a second or network drive if possible.

I used Ignition 7 on a project a few years ago with a tiny Linux host and got a real kick out of it; the SQL integration is better than any other SCADA or HMI, the graphics were flexible and attractive, and the Python scripting is powerful.

But I have one customer who has been so burned over the years by Java obsolescence and corporate IT orders restricting its use for security reasons that they wouldn't let us use Ignition.

And my colleagues that use Python professionally rely on the SciPy and NumPy libraries extensively. Jython, at least at the time, lacked those libraries.

Then we got a new controls department manager with Indusoft Web Studio experience, and VBScript was at least as familiar to the junior guys as Python from college, so we moved to IWS. Haven't been particularly happy with the Wonderware, then AVEVA, acquisitions and rebranding, but it does what we want.

I figure you've really got two questions: "what are the drawbacks of Ignition that few people talk about", and "what are the drawbacks of the EDGE edition of Ignition".

This week I got handed a hurry-up project using FactoryTalk View ME for the first time in a couple of years, and I keep thinking about ways to implement a particular feature in VBScript or Python then remember that FTView ME has no scripting at all.

I have yet to see a single project Ignition can't handle. Yes, any python library that is dependent on C libraries won't work. But, there are other options typically. The Java thing has never been a problem, not sure what good IT department would limit it. If you use Perspective Java isn't a thing at all.

I'm opposite of Ken, I think Indusoft is garbage, at least compared to Ignition.

FTME is by far the worst package out there. I'd rather use a C-More. :)

FTME is by far the worst package out there. I'd rather use a C-More. :)

+1

Over the last 5 years every new HMI I have used was C-More and they have served me well. :)

Not sure who it was but I remember reading a reply on the forum in reference to FT View and they stated they would rather use a bar napkin to pass info to/from the operators than to use FT View. :D