Most Commonly Used PLC Brand for automation

If you look worldwide the S7-300 from SIEMENS is the PLC the most used in industry. Every 3 PLC sold 2 are SIEMENS.

1st SIEMENS
2nd ALLEN BRADLEY
3rd MITSUBISHI

L.GL said:
If you look worldwide the S7-300 from SIEMENS is the PLC the most used in industry. Every 3 PLC sold 2 are SIEMENS.

1st SIEMENS
2nd ALLEN BRADLEY
3rd MITSUBISHI

What is the source of this information?

A Siemens rep maybe? o_O

L.GL said:

1st SIEMENS
2nd ALLEN BRADLEY
3rd MITSUBISHI

Not over here it aint.....

AB by far followed by Modicon/Siemens then all the other odds and ends.

It varies hugely by industry too.

We use alot of SCADAPack and Fisher ROC mainly due to the environment.

Informations of an official independant Company wich works on the automation market. For one time, I try to be fair-play !!!

That is ridiculous.
I'd estimate Siemens market share to be approx. 15-20%, AB maybe 10-15%.
Something in this order, not 67% for Siemens (= 2/3).
Lets see the information from this official independent company !

Global PLC market shares 2003:

1. Siemens 28.8%
2. Rockwell Automation 19.1%
3. Mitsubushi 14.3%
4. Omron 8.3%
5. Schneider Electric 8.3%
6. GE Fanuc 3.7%
7. Moeller 2.4%
8. Hitachi 1.9%
9. Sharp 1.9%
10. B&R 1.5%
Others 9.8%

Global automation equipment market shares 2004:

1. Siemens 9%
2. Schneider Electric 5%
3. ABB 4%
4. Rockwell 3%
5= Emerson 2%
5= Mitsubishi 2%
7. GE 2%

Source:
Milestones in Automation
Arnold Zankl
ISBN 3-89578-259-9

**edit**
The global PLC market shares I've copied here are very close to those in this thread over at eng-tips.com

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
I have to comment on Potter's post.
You see, I sit on the other side of that table because we are an OEM company making machinery for customers all over the world.
We ALSO want to standardise, so we chose a brand of PLC and concentrate 100% on that (*). Customers that ask for a different brand get a polite "no" or asked to accept 25% higer price + 100% longer delievry time. They then accept our standard. Even huge industrial conglomerates that try to impose their standards dont get treated differently.

I have worked on both sides of the table. The increase in price may not be as significant to a large concern as the costs of re-training the maintenance crew, purchasing copies of the programming software, cables and spare parts.

You also have to consider whetherthe hike in price will lose you the order. The last place I worked had a range of standard machines with only two global competitors. Although our standard was Omron, we couldn't sell in Europe unless it was Siemens or the US unless it was AB, so we had three "standard" control systems for one standard machine.

If its a piece of kit for which I have sole responsibility then I ask that the machine supplier provides software and cable for anything outside our standard - if its done early enough in the project this can often be had for little or no extra cost. This still leaves the issue of spare parts but provided the point has been made to the purchaser (at point of purchase) then the ball has to be in their court. I do get annoyed though, when an electrician has to trouble me for a simple fault which he would have been able to diagnose if only he understood the PLC and programming equipment. :unsure:

Allen-Bradley.

Just look at jobs advertisments for PLC programers they all want Allen-Bradly experience.

230grain said:
Allen-Bradley.

Just look at jobs advertisments for PLC programers they all want Allen-Bradly experience.

Not my experience from the UK, then again I have no idea where you are looking at job advertisments.

I can guess though 🙃

230grain said:
Allen-Bradley.

Did you look at post #36 by and read the link by Kevin?

krk said:
Global PLC market shares 2003:

1. Siemens 28.8%
2. Rockwell Automation 19.1%
3. Mitsubushi 14.3%
4. Omron 8.3%
5. Schneider Electric 8.3%
6. GE Fanuc 3.7%
7. Moeller 2.4%
8. Hitachi 1.9%
9. Sharp 1.9%
10. B&R 1.5%
Others 9.8%

Global automation equipment market shares 2004:

1. Siemens 9%
2. Schneider Electric 5%
3. ABB 4%
4. Rockwell 3%
5= Emerson 2%
5= Mitsubishi 2%
7. GE 2%

Source:
Milestones in Automation
Arnold Zankl
ISBN 3-89578-259-9

**edit**
The global PLC market shares I've copied here are very close to those in this thread over at eng-tips.com

How Come the 2003 figures adds up to 100% but the 2004 figure adds up to 27% ?

consys said:
How Come the 2003 figures adds up to 100% but the 2004 figure adds up to 27% ?

I just copied the stats from the book but I'll hazard a guess at the missing 2004 entry...

'Others 73%'

Just to clarify, the 2003 figures are for PLC equipment only whereas the 2004 figures are for overall automation equipment.

Last edited:
Most widely used PLC Brand

I have searched forum regarding this topic and have noticed no recent comments. We are reviewing adding to a specifications another brand of PLC. We have used several by customer specs but Rockwell has been the leading. We are an OEM equipment provider and our current market is the medical/pharm industry.
Due to competitive market Rockwell is being squeezed and we are looking at Seimens as an alternative. Communication and software use between the PLC and HMI is a strong consideration. Rockwell PLC/HMI still requires two software packages and commication between the two is not an easy drag and drop. Must of our system average around 20-30 input 20-30 outputs with both analog and digital.
SO..... the question is this....
Seimens vs Rockwell any input?