Most used PLC software in North America?

Hi all, I am looking to learn some PLC programming software in depth. I'm debating between learning Codesys and RsLogix, but am open to other programming software also.

To help me decide, I'm trying to figure out which is more used. I know AB has a huge presence in NA, but is it big enough to justify learning RsLogix over Codesys which is compatible with so many PLCs? Is there another brand perhaps that is even more used that I'm overlooking?

I have experience working with Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Omron, Modicon PLCs plus more and my expertise is more on the SCADA side. I'm wanting to better round out my skills by being an expert in at least one PLC programming software.

My interests lie more in the robotics side than the manufacturing side too.

Thanks in advance!

AB is the big one in North America I think. Having spent a bunch of time with it, as well as a few different Codesys based PLCs I would say that AB is more useful on a resume.

AB is the big one in North America I think. Having spent a bunch of time with it, as well as a few different Codesys based PLCs I would say that AB is more useful on a resume.

Very cool, would you say AB is more useful on a resume across all industries?

Do you see more ControlLogix or CompactLogix?

I've seen quite a lot of AB in the states. As for control/compact logix, programming software is the same. Both are used just depends on the application.

Ash

This question has come up a few times in the past. Here is my advice to young people just getting started in automation.

The software package to get familiar with is the one you will need to get your first job. After that, if you choose to stay in the field you will pick up what you need as you go along. It's a pretty good bet that the programming language you will use on your last job before you retire isn't in use yet, quite likely isn't even under development yet.

More important is what Peter Nachtwey rightly calls "forever knowledge". That is the physics, math, thermodynamics, chemistry, biology, etc that underlies every manufacturing process. If you can master those topics, you will be able to understand the job-specific tools you will need to do whatever task you decide to undertake.

Thanks Ashley that is good to know.

Do you have any suggestions for which Codesys package to use? What do you think of Somachine?

What version doesn't really matter - the majority of the differences are vendor specific and you should be able to pick up 90% of those things in a day or two.

That being said, I would also agree with Steve. Once you've done a little bit of PLC programming the flavor doesn't really matter (granted, switching between ladder and structured text will take some work). It's the thinking of what the heck you're doing, and why, that is the important part.

The software package to get familiar with is the one you will need to get your first job. After that, if you choose to stay in the field you will pick up what you need as you go along.

+1

Certainly AB because odds are, you will use it no matter where you end up. Since you are in TX, if you do anything with oil & gas chances are you will run across controllers using Codesys, and everyone else.

I taught myself Codesys using a Raspberry PI so I could use v3.

Something to consider.

What plc(s) does industry use in your area. if it's ab why learn Omron?
if you want to stay in your area, that's what I would learn.
In West and Middle Tennessee, it's Allen Bradley, but years ago it use to be another brand. they set the area on fire and left town with companies needing tech support.
In a certain part of Iowa, it's Siemens. I have been told that Ab reps don't try to sell in the area and their tech guys are not the sharpest tool in the shed.

So, it's all a matter of location.

regards,
james

Wow, I've been working with AB, and Koyo and a little bit of Mitsu and IAI for years.
It's all for in house projects though, and its only a small part of what I do, but I've never even heard of CoDeSys.
What does it do?
I'm not being facetious.
I really am embarrassed to admit that I have no Idea what it is.
Does it work on a certain brand of PLC or Robot?

gbradley -

Codesys is IEC 61131-3 compliant programming package (development/runtime) which can be used on a wide variety of hardware. *cough* it's universal *cough*. Hardware manufactures can run Codesys runtime (I assume they pay for licensing to do this) instead of creating their own software platform for the hardware. Therefore the software expense is shared among many hardware manufacturers, with the marketing advantage that it's a universal software development platform. Hardware is generally cheaper. Codesys is offered by 3-S Smart Software Solutions (www.codesys.com)

It's a nice concept, however in my experience hardware manufactures do bake some custom items into it, therefore you can have generic Codesys installed on your PC, but if you don't have the additional components for the hardware you are actually using it won't work and you may have to have multiple installs of Codesys for the various hardware manufactures you may have to work with. This allows some hardware suppliers to charge a licensing cost to get the required plug-ins.

I have found that the labor costs to develop on Codesys are higher as you typically need to put more effort into the code to get some basic results. Things like communication may all have to be built from the ground up (or copied from some vendor library), so you end up spending more time doing some ancillary functions. Where as in AB, simply adding and PointIO Ethernet adapter to your hardware tree does all the work for you.

I think most agree that v3 is really good, a great structured text editor, an OK ladder editor. It's generally pleasant to work with, but I can only speak for using it on my rPI to teach myself. It actually forced me to pay more attention to Structured Text which I appreciate. AB ladder editor is hard to beat. Overall it does have some quirks, but generally speaking it's pretty intuitive and doesn't fight you like some other PLC software does (Looking at you Mitsubishi).