Most used PLC software in North America?

I would learn Logix Designer (RSLogix 5000). As a lot of people have said, it's basically the biggest player in North America (and a lot of other places, although Siemens has a much higher presence in Europe). But more than that - it's (in my experience) the most flexible package. By this I mean that it'll let you do more or less whatever you want, and it'll just roll with it. This is (as we discussed recently in another thread) a bit of a double edged sword, because although it gives you the power to do very creative things, it also gives you the power to very creatively screw things up! The end result of that is that you end up having to be acutely aware of "best practice" and doing things the "right" way, while still having the flexibility to do a lot of different things.

When you pick up a Siemens, or Schneider, or Omron PLC, you'll find it's a lot more restrictive with what it will let you do, if you're used to AB. But that's OK, by now you should have enough programming smarts to work out a way around each of your problems.

By comparison, if you go the other way and come into AB from a very restrictive platform, you'll possibly never learn to use Logix to it's full potential. You'll miss out on some of the really neat tricks you can use to save a lot of time and effort, because you're just not used to having them and would not have thought to go looking.

That's my take on it - but then I'm an AB fanboy from way back, so I admit to being a little biased :ROFLMAO:

Since you are in TX, if you do anything with oil & gas chances are you will run across controllers using Codesys, and everyone else.

thats funny because I have been working in oil and gas since for at least 10 years and have never run into anything using codesys.

These threads always kill me; "I want to learn the ONE software to rule them all!"

Just because a company owns the largest market share, doesn't make it the best software to know.

If someone owns a lot of market share, then that area is probably over-saturated with people that know more than a beginner. Which makes the job search difficult. Knowing a variety of software packages will make you much more useful to the job market. More so if a few of those software packages are from companies that have smaller market share as the number of people that will be fighting for that same job is an incredibly smaller pool.

I have a buddy that used to use AB exclusively. He branched out and snagged a job with a company that needed a PLC programmer for one of the lesser known brands. Now all he does is contract out to folks that need someone who knows the lesser known brand. He makes a pretty good living by being specialized in a field that doesn't have a lot of competition.

As was said before; there is no "Right" answer. The right answer is what is going to get you your first job. Once you get that first job, think about learning something else. It might land you your second job. The more you know, the more you earn.

I have a buddy that used to use AB exclusively. He branched out and snagged a job with a company that needed a PLC programmer for one of the lesser known brands.

Would it be fair to say that his exposure to various process/machine control systems was greatly expanded because of the market share of AB? Allowing him to gain a broad experience, and confidence required to branch out to a lesser known PLC?

It's not just about learning software, it's about getting exposed to what control systems are out there, what process and machine control mechanisms are in use. Working with a brand that controls a large market provides a beginner the means to get involved, get exposed, and most importantly be mentored.

Here's an experiment for you. Go to Craigslist.org and navigate to the Jobs section, then type "electrical PLC" (without the quote marks) into the Search bar. This will return all of the local companies looking for workers with PLC experience. Scan through those ads and take note of how many times AB/Rockwell is mentioned, and how often other platforms are mentioned.

Note: don't just put in PLC because it will return every ad where the poster is a Public Limited Company.

Would it be fair to say that his exposure to various process/machine control systems was greatly expanded because of the market share of AB? Allowing him to gain a broad experience, and confidence required to branch out to a lesser known PLC?

It's not just about learning software, it's about getting exposed to what control systems are out there, what process and machine control mechanisms are in use. Working with a brand that controls a large market provides a beginner the means to get involved, get exposed, and most importantly be mentored.

No, I wouldn't say that at all. To be honest I have only worked on a handful of AB/Siemens systems in over 25 years of dealing with PLCs and I think my experience range is pretty broad. I just haven't needed to work on those systems to get where I wanted to go.

My post was intended to point out that focusing on "the big guys" isn't the only way to get a job. Nor is that focus necessarily a way to grow in the PLC field. Too narrow of a focus can lead to a lot of missed opportunity to learn and grow. Learning and growing is a path to a better job and a better wage.

From what I have briefly read, robotics is on a different software path than normal PLC's. Browse National Instruments website since I recall they were pushing a universal robotics programming tool (LabView-based?).

Perhaps the closest overlap between robotics and automation is in motion control. Look at Galil and Delta Computer. The later is/was working on incorporating normal PLC coding into their motion controllers. CNC programming also overlaps. Look at Beckhoff Automation's TwinCAT, which can integrate CNC G-code with a PLC project, and also has kinematics calculation tools (convert desired x,y,z positions into manipulator's angles, ...). Electric motor drives is another specialized area that overlaps.

Hi all, I am looking to learn some PLC programming software in depth. I'm debating between learning Codesys and RsLogix, but am open to other programming software also.

To help me decide, I'm trying to figure out which is more used. I know AB has a huge presence in NA, but is it big enough to justify learning RsLogix over Codesys which is compatible with so many PLCs? Is there another brand perhaps that is even more used that I'm overlooking?

I have experience working with Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Omron, Modicon PLCs plus more and my expertise is more on the SCADA side. I'm wanting to better round out my skills by being an expert in at least one PLC programming software.

My interests lie more in the robotics side than the manufacturing side too.

Thanks in advance!
Hi,
I would suggest looking into your skills and the type of machines you will be writing code for. Some software platforms are good for Ladder programmers. Some software platforms are good for Structured Text programmers. Most all software platforms offer at least a couple of programming languages. CoDeSys environment is excellent for Structured text/ Function block diagram/ Sequential function chart and is good enough for Ladder. RSLogix is excellent for ladder logic, the rest I don't know. I would suggest using two different platforms to get a taste of the pros and cons of both. Ultimately, there is no harm in learning multiple software platforms and multiple programming languages.

I love CoDeSys!!!

Best of luck!

Learn them all.... you will need to learn some thing new someday and having exposure to them all will only help

If budget is in mind then buy a used PLC on ebay, wire it up and start programming, most Allen Bradley, Automation Direct and others offer free software, hands on is the best way

They all are the same just do it a little different, STL in Siemens, CoDeSys and ladder in AB is something that you should look at and try to get exposure to them all

I appreciate all the replys!

I do like Twincat a lot, they appear to really emphasize quality and speed. I have access to some Twincat controllers, is it worth learning Twincat 2 at all or should I learn Twincat 3 and not bother much with 2?

Which manufacturers are best for motion control?

I don't fully understand the difference between a motion controller and a PLC. Motion controllers are designed for analog data whereas PLCs are designed for digital data? I realize the two have crossed over into each other's domains, but do they have differnt starting points? What stops a PLC from doing what a motion controller can do and vice versa?

If you want to make $ any of the above will do, but if you want to make $$$, DeltaV is the way to go.

By DeltaV, do you mean motion control in general or the Emerson line?

What makes you say it makes more $$ than the others? Is it more difficult? Used in bigger projects with more funding? Respected more?

From what I have briefly read, robotics is on a different software path than normal PLC's. Browse National Instruments website since I recall they were pushing a universal robotics programming tool (LabView-based?).

Perhaps the closest overlap between robotics and automation is in motion control. Look at Galil and Delta Computer. The later is/was working on incorporating normal PLC coding into their motion controllers. CNC programming also overlaps. Look at Beckhoff Automation's TwinCAT, which can integrate CNC G-code with a PLC project, and also has kinematics calculation tools (convert desired x,y,z positions into manipulator's angles, ...). Electric motor drives is another specialized area that overlaps.

Motion control sounds right up my ally. I have worked with Delta a little bit, but not much. Looking into them more, they do look quite awesome. I'm not familiar with Galil, after checking them and some videos out, they look quite good too. Are either better known in some specific industries?

Are Delta and Galil among the best to you?

That's interesting that Twincat can do CNC, so then Twincat can do motion control as well as standard PLC tasks.

These threads always kill me; "I want to learn the ONE software to rule them all!"

Just because a company owns the largest market share, doesn't make it the best software to know.

If someone owns a lot of market share, then that area is probably over-saturated with people that know more than a beginner. Which makes the job search difficult. Knowing a variety of software packages will make you much more useful to the job market. More so if a few of those software packages are from companies that have smaller market share as the number of people that will be fighting for that same job is an incredibly smaller pool.

I have a buddy that used to use AB exclusively. He branched out and snagged a job with a company that needed a PLC programmer for one of the lesser known brands. Now all he does is contract out to folks that need someone who knows the lesser known brand. He makes a pretty good living by being specialized in a field that doesn't have a lot of competition.

As was said before; there is no "Right" answer. The right answer is what is going to get you your first job. Once you get that first job, think about learning something else. It might land you your second job. The more you know, the more you earn.

You do make a really good point and I understand what you mean. I have had the opportunity to work with several different software packages and enjoy learning new ones.

Are there any smaller companies you like in particular? Do you see any trends about what brands or software packages companies that lead their industry tend to use?

I prefer working with smaller brands over larger ones often enough, especially when they focus on quality.

Hi all, I am looking to learn some PLC programming software in depth. I'm debating between learning Codesys and RsLogix, but am open to other programming software also.

To help me decide, I'm trying to figure out which is more used. I know AB has a huge presence in NA, but is it big enough to justify learning RsLogix over Codesys which is compatible with so many PLCs? Is there another brand perhaps that is even more used that I'm overlooking?

I have experience working with Allen Bradley, Beckhoff, Omron, Modicon PLCs plus more and my expertise is more on the SCADA side. I'm wanting to better round out my skills by being an expert in at least one PLC programming software.

My interests lie more in the robotics side than the manufacturing side too.

Thanks in advance!

Probably Rockwell in North America.