Moving avg values from cyclical pumps

... But due to the way the copy instruction works it's necessary to copy to a buffer, then back.

Depends on the COPy implementation, but by copying "down*", a buffer is usually not required.

* e.g. in Logix mnemonics: [COP array[1] array[0] 7]
_

Last edited:
Another question: What's the simplest totalizer I can build with ladder logic?

I think I have already provided that, but if you don't have AVE or MAVE:

• Tags
    • REAL flow: continuously updated flow measurement
    • REAL peak: current cycle's peak flow.
    • REAL tot: running total
    • REAL arr[8]: 8 element array, arr[0] to arr[7]
    • BOOL pump_is_on: pump is running on this scan
    • BOOL pump_was_on: pump was running on previous scan
  • Code
    • XIC first_pass ### Initialization
      • CLR peak
      • CLR tot
      • FLL arr[0] 8 ### or ... 9; see below
      • OTU pump_was_on ### or OTL, so this instruction is probably superfluous
    • XIO pump_is_on XIC pump_was_on GRT peak 0 ### Falling edge of pump running if peak is positive
      • SUB tot arr[0] tot
      • ADD tot peak tot
      • COP arr[1] arr[0] 7 ### or ... 8; see below
      • MOV peak arr[7]
    • XIC pump_is_on ### Pump is running
      • XIO pump_was_on ### Rising edge of pump running
        • CLR peak
      • GRT flow peak MOV flow peak
      • OTE pump_was_on
If arr is REAL array with 9 elements, peak is arr[8], the Length of 8 in the FLL is replaced by 8, and the Length of 7 in the COP is replaced by 8, then the red instructions are not needed.

Caveats

• The totalizer will represent fewer than eight peaks for the first 7 cycles, so the tot by 8 will be give a misleading value for the first hour.
  • With fractional REAL values, there will be some rounding error in the totalizer.
_

Last edited: