MrPLC.com

jimdi4 said:
Probably because this is a better site....I posted queations on both sites and by far I get more responses on this site....

MrPLC.com was never DESIGNED to replace plcs.net. At the time of inception since 2002, there was not a good place at plcs.net to hold a sample code library or share files. So a few guys got together and bought a dedicated server with 120GB of storage space and opened it up to anyone in the automation world to post their files. We host files as large as 109MB in size in a single download. We will host any size file so long as it’s an automation theme. We designed the site to hold these files and downloads and to be able to handle the bandwidth required to host these files. Last month MrPLC used 77.5 GB of transfer traffic. That means that there are a lot of people downloading files from MrPLC. If you’ve run a website before you can appreciate how much traffic that really is in ONE MONTH.

The forum board was added secondary. Sure it’s there because it only makes sense to have one. It hurts when you say things like this, especially when my personal sole purpose was to put a site together I knew was going to be a resource hog to manage and help YOU someday by providing examples or tech notes that you can share with anyone you wish.

Hope that explains it and happy downloading…

93lt1 said:
Is anyone able to go there right now?

I am not able to get into mrplc.com. Maybe he's performing server maintenance. (whatever that means...)

2PM CST 11/17/04

Nope. Site was not broken, just wasn't connected to the internet...

I guess the story is:

From 1:32 PM EST to 7:17 PM EST, ServInt Internet Services experienced a massive fiber-cut, when MCI-owned and operated OC-48 and OC-12 fiber strands, including a trunk terminating into ServInt's primary datacenter, were accidentally cut by VA Department of Transportation (VDOT) in Northern Virginia.

It's called a BACK HOE...

Please call before you dig...

elevmike said:
Comment:
What's best about this site is that it's not broken down into a huge variaty of sub-catagories. This makes it much more stright forward, and your new thread likely to be viewed by way more people, hence..more responses.. :D

Yeah, a long, long, long time ago there was a vote that was done which included some people from here. It was decided to break it down into categories.

Me personally I kind of like it. Because I don't know "everything" yet if someone posts something in Allen Bradley or GE I might have half a chance in helping out. It's a preference I guess.

It sort of modeled from the download section. I don't know how in the world you'd run a downloads section without organizing it into categories. Can you image if everyone just dumped their files into one big folder on your hard drive? How the heck would you find anything? So that’s the main reason, to keep the same look as the downloads.

Man your really picking my brain, that was three years ago…

Gosh 77.5gb bandwidth?????? WOW. I had to get a new host because I exceeded the 6gb bandwith and the host shutdown the site. I now have 60gb a month bandwidth but dont even come close to using it.

I can relate because I created my site not to compete but to offer information in other areas that may be associated with PLCs. I also added the forum as an afterthought so people would have a place to discuss other topics.

I also allowed the members to decide what categories they wanted and basically they decided on one main Discussion area so that is what we have. I took Phil's cue tho and added a Practice posting section then later added Tips & Tricks etc.

Of course they also voted to become Jedi Knights.

All of these sites and forums fulfill a specific need that some will use and others wont.

WOW 77.5GB bandwidth......WOW

rsdoran,

Yes, hosting a forum and sending little bits of text here and there is not a problem.

But when you put a file that is 109MB in size and it's downloaded just 20 times a month. That's 2.1 GB in traffic for the month. Transfer traffic.

Our file size average is 3.7MB in size. And we get about 400 requests a day to download files. So take 400 times 3.7MB and you get 1.4GB a day on the average or should be 42 GB a month, plus or minus a few gigs here and there...

Hosting large files is a SERIOUS strain on the system, and pocket book.

We really like you guys!

chakorules said:
Me personally I kind of like it. Because I don't know "everything" yet if someone posts something in Allen Bradley or GE I might have half a chance in helping out. It's a preference I guess.

Please dont get me wrong. I'm a regestered user of MrPLC.com, enjoy it, and puruse it frequently. I would agree the Download section does need to be broken down, and seems to work well. I thank you for the service..

However, for me anyway, besides from sharing my meger knowledge and learning gobs from others, I view the forms as a type of social interaction. Kinda like going to the bar, or a gathering of friends. In my own humble opinion, I think the simpler format of this form is better suited to a wider variaty of discuessions that anybody can engage in. It's just me... :)