My VMware host laptop is a client VPN software dumpster!

id10t_error

Lifetime Supporting Member
I got too many customers and each one uses some wacko unknown VPN software...

Any good ideas on creating a VPN client software Virtual Machine and securely route traffic to and from the VPN VM and Automation VM's?

I can just create a VM and install the client VPN software with two network adapters, one in bridge and one as host-only.

I imagine each automation VM would have a bridge and host-only network adapter. When not directly connecting to the PLC/HMI via ethernet at the panel, I can disable the bridge adapter within the VM, however, I would need some mechanism or static route in my host or new VPN VM to route the automation network traffic through the host-only, to the VPN VM, then out the VPN VM bridge.

This has to been done before... any ideas?

Last edited:
Look into universal VPN clients like “TheGreenBow”. I have never used them but have heard of them. They allow you to connect to many vendors in a single app.

This has to been done before... any ideas?

Yes.

Linux VM with client VPN tech and only a host-only net. iptables masquerade in the guest and static route in the host.

That's as much as I feel comfortable sharing. And if the client doesn't have Linux VPN support, then you are SOL, I believe.